Windshield Washer Motor

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Windshield Washer Motor

Hey guys, my windshield washer wasnt working, so i went out to the store and got a new pump for it. It works now, my question is, is that it sprays just a very little amount when the wipers are on and i was wondering is this normal on the older washer system. When i do engage the washer button, i hear the clicks and it sprays the hell out of the windshield and then turns back off when i dont push the button no more. But when just the wipers are on, it still sprays just a little bit like mist, but i dont hear the click sound from the pump, its on a 1971 Olds Delta 88. i was just guessing that it was an idea just to keep the windshield clean while you were driving in the rain
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:37 AM

The pump should shut off after the button is released. Hold the button down for more spray. I assume this is right (my pump is broke).

The light mist that continues sounds abnormal.
There should be a ground strap connecting the wiper motor to the firewall. If that is loose or missing, strange things can happen.
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:37 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

I am going to bring up this post again because I am having the same problem. I put in one of those little nozzles and gasket rebuild kits, and hooked up new lines and sprayers. But I am having the same problem that Gustav455 was/is having....the sprayers still spurt even after I release the washer button. I will check and see about that grounding strap, but if that's not the problem, is there anything else it could be? And to Gustav455, did you get this problem fixed? I want my washer!!
Old March 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM

hey silverriff, no i havent fixed this problem yet, but i did find out what was causing it, you know behind the washer motor, there is a spring that controls the washer, what happens when your not washing is that the spring is not disengaging. its pretty much built into the plastic cam that spins when the wipers are on, my answer to fixing it is just replace the windshield wiper motor and pump, because i replaced my pump and it broke it because the washer never wouldnt disengage, if you find another solution to fixing then let me know, thanks, also i never did find a ground strap