Wonderbar radio

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Wonderbar radio

Can anyone tell me...when looking at the back of a wonderbar radio it has a 3 prong connector...from left to right is the connection... ground ...speaker ...power?
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:07 AM

Yes, gnd, spkr, pwr, and we are assuming you are working on a '67 Olds wonder bar model 7300103...
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:05 AM

No I'm installing a model 7303173. I guess I should of been clearer in my post. Grd, spk, Pwr, looks correct judging by other wonderbars I've been able to find on line. My wire harness has a connector which has a Pwr, Spk, but no Grd lead, do I need to ground using a seperate wire? My car originally had a am radio only.
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Oldsdruid

The radio chassis grounds to the car body thru its mounting hardware. The GRD terminal in the plug is for the speaker ground wire. Some years have it, others don't.

Look at the speaker itself and see if it self-grounds to the car body. Some years there was only the green wire to the speaker's (+) terminal and its (-) terminal connected to the speaker frame, which then grounded to the car thru the attaching bolts. You'll find most rear speakers are set up like that. Other years had the green (+) wire and black/green stripe (-) wire going from the plug to the front speaker.

I think you'll be fine without it, but if you feel better by having a ground, simply run a wire from the GRD cavity to the speaker's (-) terminal. Since the front speaker will have to come out of the dash to do that, it would be a good time to send them both off for reconing. Then that WonderBar will sound like it's supposed to!

Just hope it isn't like the last one I had. You'd press the WonderBar and it would take off and continually scan but never lock onto a station, no matter where the sensitivity lever was set. Manually tuning it, it would pick up even moderately strong stations all across the dial. The only way it would stop was to shut the car off. Needless to say, it did not stay in the car long.
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Thanks Rocketraider you have given me some hope in getting this radio to play. I'll spend some time Monday on it. Should the wonder bar move regardless if it finds a station? I have power hooked up but cant seem to get the wonder bar to move. More work is needed I think. Even if I dont get this radio to play, I'm going to leave it in, it looks real good having the correct period radio. I'll hook up a disk changer in the trunk out of sight if I have too.