turn signal connector

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2013, 01:58 PM

turn signal connector

Hello! Who know where the turn signal connector is build in? Because I have to build in a second rear light (yellow) as the turn signal to make my ´66 f-85 street legal.

Thank you very much! BR
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Can't you just solder in a wire and tap into the existing turn signal wires at each tailight? Unless they require a separate turn signal lamp that does not activate with the brake light. In that case, I guess you would tap into the front turn signal wires and have it activate your yellow lights. You could run the line from front light to the rear, or tap into harness connector at bottom of column.
Just curious, is this something you have to do to enable daily driving, or for any driving?
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:46 PM

^^ m371961 is right, you don't need to find a connector, just tap the existing turn lamp wires.

You're making a two- way (Y) tap from the factory wire. Identify and cut the wire back a few inches from the socket. Route wires to each lamp and ground your new yellow rear(s) to a clean, bare metal point or existing ground lug. Solder all your splice connections. Using shrink tubing over all connections is preferred. You can use plastic butt connectors with a crimp tool if soldering is a concern. With either method, tape over all splice points with quality electrical tape.

Your laws require yellow rear turn signals right? Could you make custom yellow lenses for the stock lamp?
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:47 AM

Unfortunaly it is not allowed that the branking light is red! It is also not allowed that the red turn signal is activated when the yellow one is on.
So I have to seperate the cables. I took alook at the wiring diagram and the only option is to "rework" the connector. Because there is only one cable and one lamp from the connector to the taillight!

BR, Daniel
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:49 AM

That connector should be along the steering column, above the brake pedal, about the level of your knees....could be a curved connector.
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Just to be absolutely clear: Listen to what m371961 and WhiteKnuckles are saying.

There is only ONE wire to each bright (brake / signal) filament on each side in the back.
If you want separate signal lights, you have to take the feed from the FRONT bulb circuits.

- Eric
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:59 AM

Okay. You need both rear red brake lights to be on solid when brakes and signal are on, correct? And the installed yellow lights to work independent of the brake lights.
If this is what you want, then you will have to remove the rear turn wires from the signal switch and connect directly to the wire coming from the brake switch. Now I see why you asked about the switch. You can do this at the wire junction at the base of the column. A wire diagram from the chassis manual will help.
Then, for the rear yellow lights you can tap into the wire for the front signal lights and run 2 wires to the yellow rear lights, or, using the wires and signal switch contacts you bypassed, rewire those and use for the yellow lights.
I am now confusing myself.
There is a member or 2 here from Germany. I wonder if they have the same regulations and hope they chime in here.
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:32 PM

This is getting more interesting now. Should the red lamps have the basic 1157, two filament bulbs, we're solving for keeping the brake function solid without flash but this is not clear "it is not allowed that the braking light is red". I'm not sure what that means? Please explain.

Where do you isolate the turn wires? I've messed around with projects using "Signal-Stats", a turn signal kit that attaches to your column with a hose clamp! Thing is, to control the circuit they added blocking diodes and switch logic. This prevents your front turns from coming on when you press the brake and allows constant brake power to be over-ridden with the alternating turn flash. My point is, the circuit is complicated and I'm not sure how they performed this in the 60's? It may be mechanical switch logic? Knowing how they do it determines where the tap point exists.

The brake modification by taking it off the pedal switch will be perfect. I'm thinking you might trace the flasher output (where the circuit begins) to reveal more clues.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; January 17th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:12 AM

There is a member or 2 here from Germany. I wonder if they have the same regulations and hope they chime in here.[/QUOTE]

You wont believe it but: Absolutly differnt law in Austria than in Germany.
I bought my car in Germany and it is street legal there. Not street legal in Austria.
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:19 AM

M371961 is right.

Red brakelights are Ok. The turn signal has to be yellow and seperated form the brake light. While the yellow turn signal is flashing, the red brake light is not allowed to flash. I wired it yesterday and it works now. Found the connector immediatly. Thank you