Toggle Kill Switch - Dash

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2019, 12:37 PM

Toggle Kill Switch - Dash

I have an MSD R2R distributor with an MSD Blaster coil. If I wanted to install a dash mounted single toggle switch to act as a kill-switch, could I wire it to the orange wire that is currently connected from the MSD harness to the negative of the coil as outlined in the MSD diagram?

Old February 18th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Are you installing an inline switch or a switch that grounds the "-" side of the coil? With points, grounding the "-" side of the coil is a great way to do it, because unless the thief knows about the grounded wire, no amount of hotwiring the coil will get it to start. I do not know if grounding the orange wire will damage the MSD electronic distributor, however. If you just plan to insert a switch in series in the orange wire, that will work fine. Just be aware that a jumper wire will defeat your kill switch.
Old February 18th, 2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Are you installing an inline switch or a switch that grounds the "-" side of the coil? With points, grounding the "-" side of the coil is a great way to do it, because unless the thief knows about the grounded wire, no amount of hotwiring the coil will get it to start. I do not know if grounding the orange wire will damage the MSD electronic distributor, however. If you just plan to insert a switch in series in the orange wire, that will work fine. Just be aware that a jumper wire will defeat your kill switch.
Thanks as always Joe. I saw your post on a similar topic for another about grounding the points but I’m not sure either about doing any damage to the MSD distributor. My plan was to add it in the middle of the orange wire to the negative terminal to buy a little time in the event someone was trying to mess with the car if I have parked somewhere in public. Although nothing an experienced thief wouldn’t be able to overcome but more of a bit of piece of mind for me without having to install a full alarm (not saying that’s a foolproof method either).