Success with new blower motor in 1976 Delta

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2019, 06:15 PM

Success with new blower motor in 1976 Delta

So happy I finally tackled this project.

This is not a photo heavy thread, just my experience getting a new blower motor installed in the beast due to loud intermittent whining at all fan speeds. Some days my original fan was silent and some days it was as loud as the horn!

The passengers side inner fender plastic has to be peeled back at least halfway from the rearmost portion toward front with roughly eight 1/2 inch bolts removed at a minimum. Yes, they are subject to breaking and spinning but mine came out fine and although the inner fender plastic is very tough, it will come loose if you use plastic wedges or pieces of wood to carefully force it out and peel it forward slowly.

Two motors (with wheel installed) are listed on Rock Auto from ACDelco Canada 1. roughly $32 part 1580666 Except (no) air and 2. roughly $63 for part 1580213 with AC.

I also purchased this AC Delco blower install kit in case thing got weird.

Amazon Amazon

As it turns out the install kit wasn't needed because ACDelco 1580213 was a perfect fit over the factory gasket for my 1976 Delta 88 Royale with AC.

My old fan unscrewed easily and the factory gasket stayed stuck to the airbox. The new fan installed right into the factory holes with no modification after attaching the ground strap to the single small hole in the housing that's made for it.

The motor vent house hole on the new AC Delco unit comes plugged from the factory and was a bit smaller than the original, so I cut the fitted end (about 1/4 inch) off the vent hose and it the tube went in nicely. Also, use a very short self tapping screw or extra short machine screw to attach the ground strap so that it does not protrude and interfere with the fit of the fan housing to the airbox. Obviously, make sure the fan housing to airbox fit is good with no visible gaps. Also, make sure the ground strap is in good shape (consider reinstalling it with fresh metal to metal contact.) Make sure electrical connections are clean and push together firmly.

The new fan is very quiet and powerful. I noticed some air leakage around the seams of the airbox where the air conditioning plumbing enters and was able to plug it with black silicone.

Back to the install kit mentioned above: here is why some people are going to need or want the the install kit. Apparently a lot of similar models and years had the blower motor housing molded into the plastic of the airbox! The only solution is to carefully cut it out as shown in the install kit instructions and use the metal bracket from the install kit to create a solid base to anchor the new motor. Getting a drill in there would be tough but not impossible. Again, I didn't need the install kit but I can see how some people would. Also, the install bracket may save some people who have stripped screw bosses or other issues with fitting the motor into the securely- and the bracket with extra screws and insulation would save the day for some folks.

It was a moderate pain to install, but totally worth it after spending $$$$ on new AC system, heater core, water pump, and two heater control valves!

Last edited by 1976-88; September 29th, 2019 at 06:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Old September 30th, 2019, 05:12 AM

Excellent! I bet it's nice sitting in your Olds with cold AC and not having to listen to a squeaky fan.