stereo

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2006, 10:51 AM

stereo

I've got a question. I have a 1976 Cutlass with a 350 4 barrel stock. I am now restoring it but I am going to upgrade the sound system. Does the factory alternater have to be upgraded? Thanks.
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Not sure what size alternator you have and not sure of the power requirements for your sound system, but there are rebuilders who can increase the output amperage of your alt. There is one locally where I live, but another option is to get an alternator from an olds diesel with all the mounting hardware and they should bolt up to a small block Oldsmobile. The diesel alternator that was used was physically larger and probably has a larger output current, compared to what is on your car. I think I have a diesel alternator around here somewhere; I will check the amperage on it and get back to you. By the way, the amperage should be stamped into the housing of your alternator.

Chris
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:26 PM

85 amp is the alt that came off my Olds Diesel.

Chris
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:23 PM

No, your new stereo isn't likely to draw so much power that your alternator can't keep up. Despite some outrageous advertised peak power claims from some stereo equipment manufacturers, the average wattage is fairly low for all but multiple monster subwoofer setups. With those, most of the power goes into heating up the amplifiers, and not into delivered music power.
Old July 20th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

Good point. I think the setups with the multiple batteries, high output alternators, and huge storage capacitors are only for the most HUGE requirements of power. And then only for the short instantaneous peak requirments by the subs to prevent distortion. I prefer to have my windows rattle from the exhaust not the radio!
Old July 20th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Thank you all. I'll leave the stock alt. in untill it needs replacement from normal wear. I prefer the exhaust sound too, especially since a new true dual set up (with crossover) is being installed as we speak, but my wife likes tunes. I get no problems with her at all when it comes to spending money/time on my "project", so a little give and take keeps things smooth. Thanks again.
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM

You can move up to a higher output alt. easily. I have a 94 amp alternator. in my 1971 Cutlass Convertible, because I installed electric fans. Its listed for a mid 80's pontiac car I think. The size is the same, it just has the plastic fan on the front. Check out ACDELCO.COM to find the picture & part # than go to your favorite auto parts store and give them the #. The thing to look for is where the wires hook up to your old alternator compared to the mounting bolt locations. It takes alittle time comparing but not that hard. And the really great thing about mine is it cost the same as the lower amp alternator. Also check out MadElectrical.Com for the comparison info. They explain the differences in the wiring hook ups.
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:11 AM

That sounds like a good upgrade to do "no matter what" when I replace the old alt. Very good, I will do that. Off subject, but just got brand new BF Goodrich's all around, 70's, looks great.