speedometer lights

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2022 | 01:20 PM

speedometer lights

Hello all
I have an issue with my lights on the speedometer . I changed the gauge from a sifter on the column gauge to a floor shifter gauge. The troble I`m having is that my driver side turn signal light comes on a burns solid when I turn my headlights on. When I turn the dimmer switch down the turn signal light goes dimmer as well. The instrament lights don`t work at all and the high beam light goes dim as well. My question is with that gauge being used should the harness be repinned to accomadate it? the turn signal light will light and blink but the driver side stays on when the lights are on.
thanks for your help,
Old April 27th, 2022 | 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by stevestringer
Hello all
I have an issue with my lights on the speedometer . I changed the gauge from a sifter on the column gauge to a floor shifter gauge. The troble I`m having is that my driver side turn signal light comes on a burns solid when I turn my headlights on. When I turn the dimmer switch down the turn signal light goes dimmer as well. The instrament lights don`t work at all and the high beam light goes dim as well. My question is with that gauge being used should the harness be repinned to accomadate it? the turn signal light will light and blink but the driver side stays on when the lights are on.
thanks for your help,
did you just change the faceplate or the entire speedometer ?

If you unplugged the harness, check that any pins got damaged. Sounds a bit like a ground issue, There are some metal straps on the plastic that the speedometer mounting screws into. This is how the speedometer is grounded.
Old April 27th, 2022 | 06:34 PM

I changed the whole speedometer first, then I changed the light plate on the back from my old one,but it didn`t change anything. so I changed the whole dash harness as well to begin with. My old speedometer harness had the same setup as the new one but now I have a light on . I thought it might be a repin issue but I will check the ground. Thanks
Old April 27th, 2022 | 06:48 PM

When I see kind of weird electrical stuff, I usually check the grounding first. Another thing, are you saying just the speedometer instrument lights do not come on, or all of your instrument lights do not come on ?
Old April 27th, 2022 | 07:40 PM

Yes , the others work but I just installed a new Rallye gauge set, I had tu repin the oil,tempand fuel gauge for that.I think I`m going to check grounds tommorrow.I will let you kmow how it goes. Thanks
Old April 28th, 2022 | 07:24 PM

Having the wrong bulb in one of the turn signal sockets will cause the turn signal indicator to light up when you turn on the parking lights. The 1156 bulbs have a single connector and filament and the 1157 have dual connectors and filaments. If you put a 1156 bulb in a 1157 socket it will short the parking light circuit to the turn signal circuit. That might not fix all your problems but it might fix some of them and make fixing the rest of them easier.
Old April 29th, 2022 | 04:37 AM

Well as expected it was ground wire issues and corrosion in the harness connections on the headlight harness. Once I got all of those sorted out now all is well.
thanks for the help. Y’all are amazing.