Sparks

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2013, 08:01 PM

Sparks

When I started my Cutlass today to take it out of the garage, I thought I noticed something near the fuseblock.

I took it out, then before shutting it off, I hit the hazard light switch and there was a spark from the left contact for the hazard, tail, ... light fuse.

I turned the car off and disconnected the battery.

When I was done working on the car, I hit the switch again with the key off and I heard the flasher clicking. I started the car and hit the switch again and there was another spark and no clicking.

The dash is out of the car, so the headlight switch is not connected. The steering column plugs are all connected, all the fuses were good before I started the car (I didn't check after, but the flashers still worked after the first spark).

I have replaced the dash wiring harness, the courtesy light harness, the engine harness within the last 2 months and the front light harness last summer. I have started the car a couple of times and think I did hit the flashers at least once since all the wiring was done and I don't remember there being any sparks, but I'm not sure if the car was running at the time. All the wiring harnesses were factory style, so pretty well plug and play and I put things back where I took them from.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old June 16th, 2013, 07:19 AM

Sounds like a loose connection at right where you saw the spark.
Was it from inside the fuse or out? I have had fuses break inside at the endcap. The break allows a little current through but it will open up on ya if too much current flows (like when you turned the flashers on), and you will get a spark in return. Replace the fuse if you think this is it.

If not, make sure the fuse fits snugly into the clip in the fuse box. Although it will push in with resistance, the fuse may not be held well.

If this is not it, pull the fuse block and check where the wires are secured to the fuse clips. A joint could be broke or loose or corroded.