Signal Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2018, 06:58 PM

Signal Light Issue

I think I have a combination of issues. First on is my right hand indicator will not illuminate but the outside indicators work fine. So far I have swapped the left and right to see if the bulb might be toast but it is fine. I changed the flasher relay on spec but that wasn't the issue. Also when I turn the headlights on the right indicator on the front stays solid. I'm leaning towards the printed circuit board but I can't seem to find one for my model. I'm chasing down grounds but the idiot who owned the car before me jury rigged the crap out of the wiring. It's a mess. It is a 1969 Cutlass Sport Convertible. It has the 455 in her but originally had a 350. So if anyone had a similar issue or can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. Oh yeah I have the halogen headlights which I am not sure if that may be a factor or not. I'm thinking yes for the second issue but no for the first.
Old August 31st, 2018, 07:42 PM

I had a situation ('73 Custom Cruiser) where the right-side turn signal indicator on the dash would stay on continuously if the headlights were on. The problem was a bad ground in one of the turn signal sockets. I think it's a virtual certainty that your problem is also a bad ground somewhere. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking.
Old August 31st, 2018, 07:48 PM

Why is the dash indicator not illuminating at all though for the right hand side but the outside lights work perfectly. I will definitely keep looking but that part is the puzzling part
Old August 31st, 2018, 07:51 PM

If your wiring harnesses have been botched up, you can send them to American Auto Wire and have them restored to original. I think Lectric Limited also has this service, there is another one but i cannot remember the name now. Or they can sell you new reproduction wiring harness. I have a new Lectric Limited main dash harness in two if my cars, their quality cannot be beat. So starting with known good wiring will solve your electric gremlins. Possibly could be a problem with your turn signal switch in the steering column.
Good luck
Steve
Old August 31st, 2018, 07:51 PM

Here is Da Beast and a pudgy version of myself
and yes it is a clone but I didn't clone her
Old August 31st, 2018, 07:55 PM

Yeah I think I will buy a new harness, I just got moved to the opposite coast and money is tight. I just need it to pass the inter provincial safety so I can pick at it on my own time

Anyhow thanks for the advice

Oh yeah, reproduction printed circuit boards, does anyone know where to get those
Old September 1st, 2018, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Troubleshooting through your wallet gets pretty expensive.
Old September 2nd, 2018, 08:26 AM

Printed Circuit boards

So does anybody sell printed circuit boards for this model...
Old September 2nd, 2018, 02:58 PM

Before I would throw money at the problem I would look at the wiring diagram and check for volts at the wire that feeds the circuit board for the indicator light. But it is your money, not mine.
Old September 2nd, 2018, 06:54 PM

Fixed one problem

My stuff hasn't arrived yet from my move but I took your advise and cleaned up every ground and every connection. The dash ligh now works
i think my other issue is that I put halogen lights in for my headlights and they seem to be a big power draw on the system. I still have to wait until I get my stuff to really diagnose things properly
thanks for the advise and I really like this site it has helped me out a lot.