Sensors - Oil, H2O, Fuel Where are they?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Sensors - Oil, H2O, Fuel Where are they?

Performed all kinds of searches ... never found what I need ... new to site ... weather getting better in Seattle - gotta get it on the road!

69 Olds Cutlass S Convertible w/350 V8. When I acquired it, oil pressure, water temp, fuel guage were not connected. Found 2 loose wires under the hood - bridged to one sensor to left of Oil Filler tube ... idiot light lit up on dash ... is this the Water Temp or Oil Pressure? Depending on which loose wire I bridge, both the Water Temp and Oil Pressure light go on. Would appreciate approximate locations for both.

Also, the fuel guage is inoperative ... found some wires in vicinity of trunk NOT going to lights or pump for the top ... any tips?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
OLDS15.jpg (7.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by 69SRagtop; May 11th, 2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Add Photo
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69SRagtop
Performed all kinds of searches ... never found what I need ... new to site ... weather getting better in Seattle - gotta get it on the road!

69 Olds Cutlass S Convertible w/350 V8. When I acquired it, oil pressure, water temp, fuel guage were not connected. Found 2 loose wires under the hood - bridged to one sensor to left of Oil Filler tube ... idiot light lit up on dash ... is this the Water Temp or Oil Pressure? Depending on which loose wire I bridge, both the Water Temp and Oil Pressure light go on. Would appreciate approximate locations for both.

Also, the fuel guage is inoperative ... found some wires in vicinity of trunk NOT going to lights or pump for the top ... any tips?

Thanks
The first tip is get a Chassis Service Manual for your car, which has all this info and much more that you will need to work on it.

The sender next to the oil fill tube is the oil pressure sender. The temp sender is on the intake manifold, usually to the left (driver's side) of the water neck. Note that the senders for idiot lights are not the same as the senders for gauges.