Reverse Light and Neutral Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2019, 12:43 AM

Arrow Reverse Light and Neutral Safety Switch

Seeking some assistance regarding the 'back-up' lights not working properly. Replaced both bulbs but reverse lights flicker on and off when moving the column shift from 'P' to 'R'. I would believe that this is a 'Neutral Safety' switch causing the problem. Is there any other part that may affect the 'reverse lights' not working properly? Any and all replies are most appreciated. Is the 'back-up' switch incorporated in the Neutral Safety Switch on the below vehicle?

1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham
5.0 Liter (307 C.I.) Vin Y
* Have not placed the car on the lift but I'm almost certain the Neutral Safety Switch is located on the transmission.

* Is this the part?

Last edited by synoptic12; May 20th, 2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old May 18th, 2019, 08:25 AM

I'm not familiar with your vintage of Olds, but that does look like the neutral safety switch and its located inside the car, on top of the steering column near the floorboard. It can be adjusted so I agree with you this might be worth checking to resolve your backup light issues. John
Old May 18th, 2019, 08:37 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I'm not familiar with your vintage of Olds, but that does look like the neutral safety switch and its located inside the car, on top of the steering column near the floorboard. It can be adjusted so I agree with you this might be worth checking to resolve your backup light issues. John
* I believed the NSS to be on the transmission or am I wrong? Thanks.
* @2blu442 > You are certainly correct, my apologies.

Last edited by synoptic12; May 20th, 2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old May 18th, 2019, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Its on the column.
Old May 18th, 2019, 09:25 AM

Thanks very much, you may be right. Is it at all possible that the shifter linkage cross shaft bushing may be at fault?

Last edited by synoptic12; May 18th, 2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old May 18th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Administrator

No, the mechanism for the NSS is in the column not the linkage. There are 2 small screws that hold the switch to the column with adjustment for the switch.
Old May 18th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Olds Fever

As Eric stated in his post, the NSS for your Cutlass is on the steering column and is controlled by rotation of the column... The only other thing that may cause your problem is item #13 of your posted illustration... This rod adjusts the trans linkage to the shift indicator and may be slightly out of adjustment... Adjusting either the NSS or the linkage rod, if misaligned, should resolve your issue... If, however, all the shift indicators are in the correct position, it is doubtful the rod is the problem...
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:14 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
No, the mechanism for the NSS is in the column not the linkage. There are 2 small screws that hold the switch to the column with adjustment for the switch.
Thanks very much. Can the screws be adjusted to compensate for any play or exactly how should the screws be aligned : in Park or Reverse?

Last edited by synoptic12; May 18th, 2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:18 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
As Eric stated in his post, the NSS for your Cutlass is on the steering column and is controlled by rotation of the column... The only other thing that may cause your problem is item #13 of your posted illustration... This rod adjusts the trans linkage to the shift indicator and may be slightly out of adjustment... Adjusting either the NSS or the linkage rod, if misaligned, should resolve your issue... If, however, all the shift indicators are in the correct position, it is doubtful the rod is the problem...
Thanks much. The indicators are in the correct position (P-R-N-D). The problem occurs when I move the column shift from (P) TO (R). There is a momentary lapse when the backup lights go on into reverse mode, then go out. I replaced both bulbs, and according to your analysis, the rod is not the issue. So, is the NSS the problem?
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Administrator

The screws are in fixed locations, there are slots in the switch to adjust it. Not that complicated once you look at it. It can't be that far off if the engine starts in both park and neutral.
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:43 PM

Arrow

The screws are in fixed locations, there are slots in the switch to adjust it. Not that complicated once you look at it. It can't be that far off if the engine starts in both park and neutral.
Thanks much, most appreciated. Can you provide some insight on how to adjust the NSS?
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:58 PM

Arrow

I just popped the cover. Here are some photos, difficult to get under there. Is the white piece around the column the NSS? How can I adjust that?

Old May 18th, 2019, 04:15 PM

The NSS clicks right and left. Turned inadvertently to the right. How can I adjust? The NSS ratchets to the right or left in audible clicks.

Last edited by synoptic12; May 18th, 2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old May 18th, 2019, 04:34 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by synoptic12
Thanks much. The indicators are in the correct position (P-R-N-D). The problem occurs when I move the column shift from (P) TO (R). There is a momentary lapse when the backup lights go on into reverse mode, then go out. I replaced both bulbs, and according to your analysis, the rod is not the issue. So, is the NSS the problem?
Based on this description of the issue, while the shift indicator is in the reverse position, how much slack (movement) do you feel in the shift lever without moving it into "P" or "N"... Actually have someone watch the backup lights while you move the lever while in the "R" position and see if at any point does the lights stay on... If at any point while in the "R" position, the lights do stay on, it is possibly a rod adjustment or a bad bushing and or grommet (possibly items 1. 9, or 10)... If there is absolutely no slack while in the "R" position, it is the NSS adjustment...
Old May 18th, 2019, 04:45 PM

Arrow

* I just fixed the backup lights. Upon ratcheting the NSS to the low position as stated in the Oldsmobile manual: 'The backup lights did not work'; rather going on and off between P and R. Upon moving the NSS to the 'high' position (Left); the backup lights now work. I cannot understand how the Oldsmobile manual states to move in the 'low' position rather than 'high'. I believe this was contingent upon installing a new NSS but the wording was somewhat confusing, at least to me. Maybe, someone can chime in here with an analysis. Thanks very much for the help. Glad I had the Oldsmobile manual. Picture of page inserted denoting the NSS and as to the position. The setting position was believed to be P which I adjusted in.

Last edited by synoptic12; May 18th, 2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old May 18th, 2019, 04:46 PM

I don't know your vintage but here's some pictures of a 1972 column switch. It has two fasteners that you'd loosen and then rotate the switch. You might get a mirror and flashlight to look up and see what kind of fasteners hold your switch in place.

Old May 18th, 2019, 04:51 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Based on this description of the issue, while the shift indicator is in the reverse position, how much slack (movement) do you feel in the shift lever without moving it into "P" or "N"... Actually have someone watch the backup lights while you move the lever while in the "R" position and see if at any point does the lights stay on... If at any point while in the "R" position, the lights do stay on, it is possibly a rod adjustment or a bad bushing and or grommet (possibly items 1. 9, or 10)... If there is absolutely no slack while in the "R" position, it is the NSS adjustment...
* Thank you very much: "Adjustment it was as stated below". Would a bushing and spring in the cross shaft linkage allow or provide for a tighter column lock: i.e > P to R to N to D ?
Old May 18th, 2019, 04:54 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I don't know your vintage but here's some pictures of a 1972 column switch. It has two fasteners that you'd loosen and then rotate the switch. You might get a mirror and flashlight to look up and see what kind of fasteners hold your switch in place.

Thanks very much for your assistance. The problem is rectified. I wished someone would have told me about the "high" and "low" position in ratcheting audible clicks. How did this occur, moving out of place? The audible clicks are very secure and not at all easily moved. Any reason to believe "sabotage"?
Old May 18th, 2019, 06:03 PM
Administrator

I am not completely familiar with your vintage as it is apparently different yet somewhat similar in operation. Glad it worked out. Who knows how these things happen to a car that's 33 years old.
Old May 18th, 2019, 06:46 PM

Arrow

I am not completely familiar with your vintage as it is apparently different yet somewhat similar in operation. Glad it worked out. Who knows how these things happen to a car that's 33 years old.
* Thanks very much for your support. In fact, you are correct: both work in the same manner but my NSS is much more efficient and easier to adjust (audible ratcheting clicks) rather than loosening two screws as to set parameters. Also, the NSS on my Olds is a duel purpose: (1.) For Neutral safety switch and (2.) For backup lights. I believe there are four separate color wires to distinguish the NSS function which in turn moves through the solenoid. Anyways, really hate these issues, especially in the position one must get in under the dash. Really not that much work at all, just the aggravation. I could assure you most all dealerships or automotive repair facilities would certainly hit the customer with a $200.00 bill easily, no questions asked. This is what I do not care for, dealerships always using their so-called technical expertise to entrap the unsuspecting. I know of these things first hand as working in a transmission shop. I quit due to the practices and as to how the owner really took advantage of everyone. I could provide a total synopsis but you may not be interested.
Old May 18th, 2019, 06:55 PM

* Footnote: I may, may possibly be at fault when performing a radio system installation some years back as possibly hitting the Neutral Safety Switch inadvertently. If not any ever told me my backup lights were out, there is a strong chance that they've been out for a while. Possible but unknown. It's fixed so that's it.