rear quarter power window motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2024, 08:58 AM

rear quarter power window motor replacement

Hi guys - I have a 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible that originally had manual windows and about 25 years ago I was able to replace them with power windows thanks to a friend who owned a junkyard giving me the correct parts from a Cutlass with power windows and locks.
it was a really long time ago so I don't remember much about making the conversion, but recently the right rear quarter window stopped working.
I tested for voltage at the switch and I get 12 VDC, so I would guess it's the motor that went defective.

So, my question is do I have to take the entire regulator system out to get to the motor, or can the motor be replaced without taking the whole system out.

Thanks in advance
Joe

Old May 24th, 2024, 07:55 PM

The power window motors are side specific and can swap front/rear, but not left/right.

Last I checked new window motors are available for $120.00 - $150.00, or go boneyard (pull the lesser used rear motors) and you may wind up cheaper & better off than new. GM used similar motors in most all of their product lines and models from say 1965 to 1977 or so until metric and the newer connectors came. You’re looking for the motors with the “T” shape electrical connectors.

If you can’t find rust-free good used ones that are pre metric systems, you can solder in the new metric style connectors to the old wires to accomodate the newer motors, but it’s the second best choice.

Best to have your old window motor out while looking/shopping for new. Makes it much easier to know what you want to buy.

If you can mechanically block the regulator in one place without having to pull the glass and regulator, you may be able to relieve enough pressure off the motor to allow you to remove it while leaving the regulator in place. This saves you hours & hours of regulator and glass adjustment on reinstallation, but is a little dangerous since the windows are spring loaded.

Be very, very careful with these systems. The windows are spring loaded and will happily _hurt_you_ if you release spring pressure with the window in the wrong position.

Please consult those who know ‘71 cutlass windows better than me about which position is safest in that year/car.

Hope that helps
Chris
Old May 25th, 2024, 04:35 AM
Running On Empty

If you're confident the motor needs replacing this will likely provide no value; yet, it doesn't hurt to review the suggested troubleshooting measures to ensure you haven't missed something before you elect to R&R the motor.

Old May 25th, 2024, 06:08 AM

power window motor replacement

Thanks for all of the good advice. Proceeding with some electrical test and then replace the motor if it is bad.

I am guessing that because the motor is at the bottom of the regulator arms that it is pretty much impossible to replace it without taking the entire mechanism out.

Joe
Old May 25th, 2024, 06:11 AM
Running On Empty

Straight up - I've never replaced a motor but I'd perform every test possible to convince myself it has to be done.
Old May 25th, 2024, 03:53 PM
Rodney

I just installed all new door and quarter window glass in my '72 442 convertible, and had the regulators out to clean and refurbish them. I can tell you without a doubt that you will not be able to remove the quarter window motors without removing the window and regulator assembly. The doors have enough space that you can replace the motors without removing the regulators; but you will have to drill three access holes through the inner door shell to reach the motor bolts. There is a template in the Fisher Body manual that shows where to drill these holes. I would do the door motors with the widow fully closed to remove the tension from the window regulator spring. Before you disassemble the quarter windows; carefully mark the locations of each adjusting bolt to make reinstallation easier.

Rodney