Radio and what to do with it...

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2009, 04:50 AM

Question Radio and what to do with it...

My 1968 Toronado had the genuine Delco Wonderbar radio in it when I bouht it. But it worked bad, couldn't keep the volume up - would need a resto I assume.

Six years ago then I bought a Custom Autosound USA-6 radio with 10 CD-Changer. I never got happy with this one since this device failed after some days completly - already 2 times. So actually it's just dead.

Regarding Custom Autosound I found a number of opinions in other forums that say, their quality seems to be a problem. And one thing is sure for me: Their support is non-existent. And as third MHO says that this device was quite a bit overpayed.

Has anyone else experiences with Custom Autosound?

Some years ago there was someone on the marked that not just rebuilt the old Delco Radios (as the Wonderbar) but also modified them with replacing lot of the content with modern stuff inside the genuine radio case so the genuine look was kept. Can't find these guys again - did they disappear or does anyone knows someone modifying Delco Radios with modern content?

Another way I considered was to let the old Delco rebuild and add an FM-Transmitter that allows to feed music from a mp3-stick-player. Does anyone uses such an FM-Transmitter? How is the quality of what you can hear with this equipment?
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:00 AM

I've never heard of bad things about Custom Autosound; however, I will have second thoughts if I order from them now.

A friend of mine in college built a small RF transmitter to pipe CDs and music into his AM/FM radio. It was in a 92 Dodge Dakota pickup. He was an electronics guru. It worked well as long as you didn't pull up beside a semi or go by a radio tower. The only draw back was that the RF transmitter sat on the dash and would slide around.
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Past Administrator

This thread has some good info in it.