Radio service manual?

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2023, 04:31 PM

Radio service manual?

So, here's the radio troubleshooting chart from page 15-2 of my 71 CSM.

This chart references a radio service manual. What manual is that and are they readily available (even if only from time to time on Ebay)?

When I installed a single DIN radio in my 71 the OE AM/FM radio was barely operable. I think the OE speakers were rotten.

I was thinking it would be a good project to disassemble the radio and tune it. I noticed on the troubleshooting chart that it mentions technicians are unable to tune the radio to avoid picking up 2 stations at the same time. I @$$ume this means the radio is pretty simple without a tunable pre-selector and no band-pass/reject filters.

Has anybody done any tuning on these radios? Is there documentation that GM released that covers the internal workings of these radios?

Just a thought. I teach radio tuning for the FAA so hopefully I could understand any documentation available. Truthfully, I'd feel more comfortable tinkering with the radio vs. disassembling the 9.375 rear-end (the other subject I glanced at in my CSM this evening).

I think I just found it. Is this it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234730460948
Old March 9th, 2023, 05:42 PM
Oldsdruid

Or a Sams Photofacts covering your radio works good. They're what most general radio service shops used.

Old March 9th, 2023, 08:06 PM
Past Administrator

Jesse, I'm not sure you would get very far attempting to tune the radio without at least a signal generator and an o'scope. My bet is that the old capacitors in it are going to be the culprits for most of it's failure to tune well, they go out and lose value then your LC circuits are off and your discriminator is off, it's a dominoe effect.
Old March 10th, 2023, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Or a Sams Photofacts covering your radio works good. They're what most general radio service shops used.
Thanks for the lead. I'll have to search for one of those manuals.

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Jesse, I'm not sure you would get very far attempting to tune the radio without at least a signal generator and an o'scope.
True. Tuning a radio without a good RF test set would be like trying to tune the engine in a classic Oldsmobile without a timing light and tachometer.
Old March 10th, 2023, 04:56 AM

I may have one of these books. If you need a picture of something I can take a picture/scan.

Don W
Old March 10th, 2023, 02:25 PM

The timing of this post couldn’t be better, I may be going there tomorrow.

There is a flea market/antique mall in Columbus indiana called Vic’s collectibles. Last time I was there he had a few of those radio manuals. I don’t recall what he was asking for them.

He also has a 69 Toronado that I have my eye on.

If your interested, message me and I’ll let you know what I find.
Old March 13th, 2023, 02:35 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=vic+...e-gws-wiz-serp

This is the place that had the radio manuals. I went there over the weekend, unfortunately he closed early that day. Definitely a unique place, he has some oddball stuff.
Old March 14th, 2023, 09:56 AM

Matt, thanks for thinking of my thread. If the owner of the curios shop has the 71 Delco Radio Service Manual or AR-75 Sam's Photocraft manual as Rocketraider posted please let me know.

PM sent.
Old March 14th, 2023, 10:31 AM
Past Administrator

Jesse, remember that place down in Houston that had all that electronic stuff? They might also have or have access to Sam's manuals.
Old March 14th, 2023, 10:41 AM

Yeah, I thought that shop down in Houston might have a good, used RF test set too. For anyone finding this thread in the future, Oldsguy and I are referring to Electronic Parts Outlet in Houston, TX.

https://epohouston.com/