Old School speaker box

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Old School speaker box

Haven't been able to do much to the car this year because of the money situation, so I decided if I'm going to cruise around here and there I need some tunes. Since the factory AM radio limits my listening enjoyment, I went to work on a solution. I wanted to keep the factory radio wired to the front speaker just in case I wanted to flash back to the 70's. I had some sound system parts laying around, a vintage pair of new Kraco Slimline 5" dual cone speakers I bought back in the mid 80's to install in my 72's doors or kicks and a recently acquired Pioneer 4X45watt Super Tuner III CD head unit. I just needed rear speakers for the tray and got some Sony Xplod 6X9 3 ways. I installed the 5" Kraco's in the kicks with the head unit located in the dash glove box. Sound was real good but I felt the Kraco 15 watt max needed a little help so I thought of designing a box to straddle the console under the dash, out of the way angling speakers toward the front occupants. Mocked up the model out of cardboard after taking some measurements. After 8 or so hours, a little scrap plywood, with another new vintage set of Kraco Slimline speakers from a E-bay seller, and viola, a retro speaker install from back in the day.
The box is temp wedged in place with some high density foam rubber and foam protecting the console contact surfaces. Took a little fitting to get it right then stained it walnut. What do you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Right left channel.jpg (117.8 KB, 34 views)
Center.jpg (80.2 KB, 37 views)
Head unit in box.jpg (63.4 KB, 26 views)
Right channel speakers.jpg (116.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Wireman134; May 28th, 2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Picture replace
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Cool.

I bet Little Feet singing "Fat man in the bath tub" is like a foot message.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Definitely old school - fits right in! Hide the wires and you're set to cruise...
Much better than cutting up stock interior parts. How's it sound?

Also I must add, avoid 'deale r cost car audio' at all cost! There were ads all over this page from them. How bad were they? See my interior makeover thread where it took them 6 months to send only PART of my dynamat order. Rated F by bbb also.
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Definitely old school - fits right in! Hide the wires and you're set to cruise...
Much better than cutting up stock interior parts. How's it sound?

Also I must add, avoid 'deale r cost car audio' at all cost! There were ads all over this page from them. How bad were they? See my interior makeover thread where it took them 6 months to send only PART of my dynamat order. Rated F by bbb also.

Sounds ok, but they are 30 year old dual cone speakers, two in series make 8 ohms, combined the max. wattage is 30. What they lack in power, the 4 combine to surround you in sound. The rear tray 6x9's do 90% of the bass and will over power the front very easy, were the front Kraco's provide mid-bass and above freq. Sound quality is a far cry from the factory stereos back in the day. Gets rid of that exhaust resonance my Pypes Street Pro mufflers put out. Now for some cruising music, any recommendations?

Last edited by Wireman134; May 31st, 2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:34 PM

Age of those speakers is not a big deal. I still have a set of - get this - Sparkomatic 6x9s in my old Ford and they still sound tollerable! They have survived over 20 years of hard use, sun exposure, temperature and humidity extremes here in TX.
The costly set of Kenwood 4x10s in my 86 Olds lasted less then 13 before the foam surrounds deteriorated. That car was not driven much at all and always had a spot in the garage.
Go figure...

As for tunes, you could not go wrong with any of these:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-any-song.html

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; May 31st, 2009 at 04:37 PM.