Oh No! I have a Short

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2013, 11:12 AM

Oh No! I have a Short

well my progress on my 1967 Delmont 88 425 2bbl has come to a halt Got her up and running again and took her out for a spin one night and when I got home, I noticed a burning plastic smell so I opened my hood and to my surprise I saw my negative battery cable smoking which was odd and then the car would not even turn on . So today I went and bought a new battery cable, a new battery, I scored down all the connections that the car could have under the hood with a wire brush and greased them all up with the recommended grease... connected the negative cable (which was fine) and then connected my positive cable which sparked tremendously and zapped me pretty good which im assuming means that I have a short somewhere .... any ideas on how to fix it? or has anyone run into this problem before? Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.. oh, and on a side note (might be helpful, might not)... the initial ignition of the engine seems to take a while and about 3-4 times of turning the key on and off to get the car turned over and that's after I pump the pedal about 12 times to get fuel into the carb
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Malibukid03
... any ideas on how to fix it? or has anyone run into this problem before? Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated..
You have to find where the short is.

Basically, disconnect everything, connect the battery, and start reconnecting things one at a time, until you see that spark again (do it with the doors closed to keep the dome light off).

Just follow the wiring schematic to see what leads to what.

The first place to start is by taking all of the red wires off of the horn relay (isolate the one from the starter so it doesn't touch anything else). If it still does it with those off, then the problem is in the wire to the starter solenoid, the starter solenoid, the starter, or the wire from the starter to the horn relay.
Work from there.

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:47 PM

ok thanks... I will try that as soon as I get a chance
Old July 9th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Administrator

I agree with Eric, in my opinion it's a heavy load item or you would be smoking a smaller wire. Look at your alternator and voltage regulator also.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:29 PM

It has a new regulator and alternator only a few months old
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Malibukid03
It has a new regulator and alternator only a few months old
As has been proven here time and again: That don't mean nuthin'.

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:33 PM

Lol... Well on my next day off I will be tearing this beast apart to find what is causing me from enjoying my summer