No signal lights!

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:34 PM

No signal lights!

Hello gentlemen, perhaps you could avail me with some technical know-how as I seem to be having some difficulties with my signal lights.

I replaced the 12v signal relay located in the fuse box with an (hd12) electronic relay (two prong) and still no signal lights. Nothing lights up-- on the dash or outside, left or right.

My car is a 1967 cutlass supreme. Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Cheers,
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:33 AM

Ok, I have no flashers working. I replaced the flasher (relay, module, goes in fuse box) with a newer style electronic. Still no work.

I do notice that the parking lights also do not work. The hazzard lights do work, and the button is all the way pulled out (and seems to work fine).

Here's the million dollar question, does anyone have a wiring diagram for my car?

Cheers,
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Joah_from_Alberta
Hello gentlemen, perhaps you could avail me with some technical know-how as I seem to be having some difficulties with my signal lights.

I replaced the 12v signal relay located in the fuse box with an (hd12) electronic relay (two prong) and still no signal lights. Nothing lights up-- on the dash or outside, left or right.

My car is a 1967 cutlass supreme. Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Cheers,
The flasher module on the fuse box is the one for the hazard flashers. The turn signals use a completely separate flasher module that is located on a harness pigtail under the dash. It should be in a clip on to the right of the steering column on the lower metal part of the dash.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

From your other thread:
Originally Posted by MDchanic
You need to follow your wiring schematic for your signal lights, and do a logical troubleshooting analysis.

Do the brake lights work?
Do the 4-way flashers work?
Do the parking lights / taillights work?
Are all your light bulbs good, sockets good, properly inserted into the sockets, and grounds good?
Is your 4-way flasher button pulled all the way out?
Have you checked both the 4-way flasher and the signal light flasher (plugged into the pigtail up on the left side of the dashboard)?

- Eric
Ok thanks for the troubleshoot guide. Wouldn't the flasher light on my dash stay on if the bulb was dead? Nothing. Is you 4way flasher pulled all the way out? i think so, do other lights work yep.

Will the 4way flasher affect the regular flashers? hmmm, lots of theory, better get to practice ...

Cheers,
Originally Posted by MDchanic
If the 4-way switch is pulled part-way out, all sorts of things may not work right - it needs to be all the way in or all the way out.

If you have a bad signal flasher, the 4-ways should still work fine and vice-versa.

Yes, the lights should just stay on and not blink if a bulb is bad, but there are no guarantees.

If all the lights (including brake lights) work properly, that eliminates a few things.

- Eric
From your post above, it appears as though you checked some of the things that I advised, but not all of them, and that you did not fully read what I said.

For a wiring schematic, simply go to WildAboutCars and download the Electrical chapter of the Chassis Service Manual (or the whole manual) for free.
It is good to have a print manual, and they are available on eBay, but in the meantime, the WAC manual is fast and easy to get.

Clean up all of your light bulb sockets first, and make sure that your bulbs are installed properly.

- Eric
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:37 AM

Actually, I did check the bulbs and I just couldn't sleep at 530 this morning and my message was more of a dreamy plea ...

I actually found that some of the harness from my rear taillights has been hacked. I will provide a pic to show you (after breaky). I also discovered that one of the metal inserts within the bulb socket was not far enough down so I only had one brake light on.

I did sigup on wildaboutcars having found an old link from our website on google. I looked in the olds section and there wasn't any electrical. But I'll d/l the chassis service manual that's great!!!

Thank you so much for your support, I'll give you a pic of my car as well. Remember tho, the whole band rode in this one!!!

Cheers,
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:02 AM

Edmonton-20130902-00198_zps4ec46b45.jpg

Edmonton-20130902-00202_zpsd0f05f79.jpg

Ok, this is the under the dash, I am not seeing any fuse attached to the culumn wiring.

Left side:
Edmonton-20130902-00199_zpse8917732.jpg

Right side:

Edmonton-20130902-00200_zps724ba754.jpg

(stupid phone)

Edmonton-20130902-00201_zps9cc4265d.jpg

This is left/right side inside the trunk (what's the chopped wires?)

Edmonton-20130902-00203_zps63acb0ce.jpg

Edmonton-20130902-00204_zps048b0b22.jpg

Cheers,
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:11 AM

Can someone help me find the link for Chassis Service Manual as I just can't find it on their website.

Cheers,
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Can someone help me find the link for Chassis Service Manual as I just can't find it on their website.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9990340731914

As for the photos:
1. Your fuse terminals are all rusty - you need to clean them. A tiny wire brush attachment on a Dremel is ideal.

2. You're missing your back-up light and transmission kick-down fuses.
If you have an manual, you don't need the trans fuse, but you do need the back-up lights fuse because it also supplies your indicator lights.
Also, your taillight fuse is too short, and probably the wrong value.

3. I can't make heads nor tails of the under-dash photos, but the flasher should be clipped to a dashboard support member.
You may need a '67 owner to give you better directions.
The plug you're looking for is on the end of a pair of wires, one purple and one brown.

4. I can't see the taillight wiring clearly enough to say much about that.

- Eric
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:37 PM

Thanks for your reply Eric. I was able to find another hd-12 flasher fuse (relay) hidden on the top left of the inside dash. That was our culprit!

I had no idea that the kick-down required a fuse. Wow, looks like I still got some work to do.

Cheers,