No blinker/indicator (71 cutlass)

Old May 2nd, 2019, 08:02 PM

No blinker/indicator

Hi guys, hoping the brains trust can help me.
Out on a cruise the other night and all of a sudden no response from the indicators. Lever will click into place but no light on the console or outside.
I had a look at the wiring diagram put up by oldcutlass and will check the "Dir Sig Back-up" fuse first. Its my first old car, i'm pretty green at this stuff but I got this car so i can start trying to fix these things myself and learn more.
What else can i troubleshoot? Replacing stuff is ok, when it gets to wiring/soldering I'll call someone who knows what they're doing. Everything else electrical in the car is working fine.

Thanks for reading
Russ
Old May 2nd, 2019, 08:05 PM

Folks forgot to mention its a 71 cutlass. Thanks
Old May 2nd, 2019, 10:16 PM

No blinker/indicator (71 cutlass)

Hi guys, hoping the brains trust can help me.
Out on a cruise the other night and all of a sudden no response from the indicators. Lever will click into place but no light on the console or outside.
I had a look at the wiring diagram put up by oldcutlass and will check the "Dir Sig Back-up" fuse first. Its my first old car, i'm pretty green at this stuff but I got this car so i can start trying to fix these things myself and learn more.
What else can i troubleshoot? Replacing stuff is ok, when it gets to wiring/soldering I'll call someone who knows what they're doing. Everything else electrical in the car is working fine.

Thanks for reading, i've posted in the repair/restoration electrical selection but thought its worth posting here too
Russ
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:52 AM

Here are couple things to try...
Turn your key to the "on" position and put it in reverse. If your reverse lights come on, then you know your fuse is good. Also, check your emergency flashers. If they work, then you're probably in need of a new switch.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 02:26 AM
Running On Empty

The turn signals are powered by the 20A DIR SIG-BACK UP fuse. As suggested if your backup lights work, the 20A DIR SIG-BACK UP fuse is OK and working since both the backup lights & turn indicators are on the same circuit. The 4-way emergency flashers are on a completely separate circuit & will not influence the turn indicators.

If the 20A DIR SIG-BACK UP fuse is working the turn signal indicator flasher may have failed (located behind the dash just under the wiper switch). It sits in its own clamp. Often times (not always) when a turn signal indicator flasher fails the indicators will flash in an uneven fashion - sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes both fast and slow until finally the flasher fails. If you cannot hear the turn signal indicator flasher clicking, chances are the turn signal indicator flasher needs replacement.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

I merged your two identical threads. It is neither necessary nor in your best interest to ask the same question in multiple threads. You'll get a better answer more quickly if all responses are kept in one thread. Good luck.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:47 AM

Push and pull the hazard switch button a few times, sometimes that will correct funky turn signal function. Do you have a test light? If not, get one. It’s almost a requirement for automotive electrical troubleshooting. With the ignition key on, check for power on the purple wire of the turn signal switch. If you have no power, you probably need a new flasher. The flasher in the fuse box is for the hazards, the turn signal flasher is clipped under the dash, to the left of the steering column.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by 72455
Also, check your emergency flashers. If they work, then you're probably in need of a new switch.
It could be as simple as the turn signal flasher as Vintage Chief mentioned. The turn signals and hazards use separate flasher units.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I merged your two identical threads. It is neither necessary nor in your best interest to ask the same question in multiple threads. You'll get a better answer more quickly if all responses are kept in one thread. Good luck.
thanks joe 👍
Old May 3rd, 2019, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the advice folks. Much appreciated.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:22 PM
Administrator

The purple wire at the column connector supplies blinking power to the turn signals from the signal stat, the switch directs it to the right or left. See if you have power at the steering column side of the connector with a test light.