no battery power

Old June 19th, 2007, 12:26 AM

no battery power

I have some kind of problem with my 1972 cutlass s ( 442 clone)
I have some type of battery drain, i dont know what it could be, i just bought a new battery, but everyone morning when i wake up, i check the car and the battery is dead, so i always charge the car but then it died by the morning.

What could be the problem, some ideas of where the drain could come from?

and i have a electric fan hooked up too the battery. but the un hooked that and its not that.

Any help would be good.
?
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Past Administrator

How do you charge the battery? If you aren't using a battery charger then you aren't really charging the battery by just running the car for a while. What aftermarket items are in the car, stereo, cd changer? Those would be my first culprits. Most aftermarket radios have some kind of keep alive memory circuits that draw a small amount of current, if you aren't really charging the battery fully that could be the cause. The new battery may have not had a full charge on it when you bought it and with the combination of a small current drain constantly it has never achieved a good, full charge. A decent trickle charger doesn't cost that much and that is the only way you will know for sure if your battery is fully charged, charge it overnight with that. Then you can start to troubleshoot your current drain problem.
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:18 AM

With a fully charged battery Dissconect Neg side & connect a 12 volt test light between battery post & cable.Light will light up if there is a drain.Start pulling fuses interior lights first as door will be open,keep pulling fuses until light goes out.That will tell you what system is causing it. If none then start by dissconecting Alt & other non fused Circuts. I use a buzzer like a old seat belt buzzer & just listen for it to quit.
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM

I have been charging it with a battery charger, but now it doesn't even charge at all.
Like if I keep the charger on there for a few hours and then take it off, i will have no juice.not even enough to for the light to go on inside.
????
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Check both cables from one end to the outher clean & re tighten ,Starter area is very vonerable to this type of problem.
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:03 PM

ok ill go out right now and take off all the cables and reattach them
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Past Administrator

To correctly charge the battery when you are experiencing issues like you describe you need to remove the battery from the car, place it on a wooden countertop or some non_conductive surface (not a cinder block or bricks or the floor), and charge it for at least 8 hours on a trickle charge (say 2 amps). If your battery is the vented type then loosen the vent caps to allow the gas to escape. If you are charging the battery while it is in the car for only two hours it will never charge up because you are fighting a slow current drain problem.
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Ya, i tried it, it finally charged up full, now im not sure if its going to drain power again