Lost the dash lights 85 delta

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2015, 07:36 AM

Lost the dash lights 85 delta

The dash lights, tail lights and front marker lights seem to be on the same circuit. I know its not the tail lights causing it to blow fuses, I hot-wired the tail lights and they work fine. I screwed around looking for the short for a few hours went throu many fuses jumped power etc, now the whole circuit is dead???

Every thing ells works, any tips where to start looking? Maybe the light switch?:co nfused:
Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:06 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes they're all on the same circuit. Since no other information provided I have to presume the lights were working fine before.

Try unplugging the light harness connector (main harness) to the front lights and tail lights. Those connectors should be in the trunk and engine compartment. Follow the wiring leads to find them. Then check to see if the dash lights and interior lights work. Now add (re-plug) connectors to the circuit till the fuse blows. That will be your problem area to hunt down the problem.

Check for melted or bad connection on the headlight switch. Not hard to access on that car. You know how to get at it from behind? Push down on the metal plunger on top of the headlight switch to remove the headlight ****. After that it's pretty easy. Don't forget to pull the fuse first.

15-20$ at O'Reilly's. 30 if you want to spend for AC Delco which is identical to the other offshore ones for less.