Left side signals won't flash 1970 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:16 PM

Left side signals won't flash 1970 Cutlass S

Front and rear bulbs all work - they come on when the lights are turned on, and they will light up if I click the signal lever down, but they stay on, no flashing... so I've been manually signaling every time I go left lol

The right side ones function perfectly
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:00 PM

Anyone?

Don't both sides run through the same relay?
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:13 PM

I'll bump this cause I have a similar issue on the same side but front only. I havent had a chance to get into the wiring yet. I tried cleaning the connections good but it didnt help.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:02 PM

I don't know if this will help anyone diagnose, but I discovered that the front will only signal if the lights are off... once the parking lights or headlights are on, it will be ON but won't flash even with the manual flashing (the back one still will if I manually move the signal arm up & down)

Again, the passenger side ones function perfectly in all conditions (lights off, parking lights only, headlights on)
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coldfire
I don't know if this will help anyone diagnose, but I discovered that the front will only signal if the lights are off... once the parking lights or headlights are on, it will be ON but won't flash even with the manual flashing (the back one still will if I manually move the signal arm up & down)

Again, the passenger side ones function perfectly in all conditions (lights off, parking lights only, headlights on)
This is usually a sign of a bad ground. Check the ground (or socket) at the front light. Also, check ALL the bulbs on the side that doesn't work. Keep in mind that the 1157 bulbs have TWO filaments, one for parking lights and one for brake/turn. The turn signal circuit is designed to not flash if a bulb is burned out, but you may have two different problems now, a burned out bulb and a bad ground. Also note that the brake and turn lights at the rear use the same filament, so see if all the brake lights work, both with the parking lights on and off.