Install dating service parts. Helpful, but a little shade tree looking

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2019 | 07:11 PM

Install dating service parts. Helpful, but a little shade tree looking

As I age I'm depending more & more on labels. I've got a 2 old cars. I sometimes get confused on what I changed when. Over past 10 years or so, when I install a service part, I've started putting an install on the part so I can gauge at a glance how old stuff is and not depend on my memory. It looks a little ugly and not factory, but I like the convenience and confidence of knowing how old stuff is.

Just a sharpie does the trick on lots of parts -- fuel pumps, silver for rubber hoses, etc. Here's my alternator:

Install date marked; Field and Sensor wires labeled to avoid reversing.

Maybe lots of you already do this. I just wish I'd learned to do this in my 20's, not my 40's.

Cheers
cf
Old September 29th, 2019 | 07:19 PM
Administrator

Wouldn't it be less unsightly if you just kept a log?
Old September 29th, 2019 | 07:46 PM

Yes. Definitely. No doubt about it.

Marking install dates is really for driver cars, not show cars. I don't really show mine.

On the plus side, if I ever decide to switch to a log, I can just use a little lacquer thinner and return the parts to as-delivered.

Great suggestion

Chris
Old September 29th, 2019 | 09:06 PM

As usual, I’m somewhere in the middle. I switch my thermostats spring/fall & write the temp on the stat housing, same w/ fuel filters, sometimes oil filters. On daily drivers I frequently use the bright green 3m masking tape & record basic service info so it is very quick to access as I usually stick it on air cleaner housing. Over time I have mostly kept a log written on the dealer delivery envelope which works well too. That is my bible for 93 F350 (49k Miles) & Mom’s 90 Camry (88k Miles). I also frequently write the oil drain plug wrench size & oil refill volume consistent with the varying service log style.
Old September 29th, 2019 | 09:13 PM

What a great idea- if you were like 90 years old
Old September 30th, 2019 | 05:51 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by bccan
... I also frequently write the oil drain plug wrench size & oil refill volume consistent with the varying service log style.
I do that too plus particulars like oil type, i maintain a few cars so that makes it easy to see what gets what.

and BTW im not 90 years old LOL
Old September 30th, 2019 | 06:25 PM
Running On Empty

Oh, this is a different type of "dating service".

I have a log book I maintain for every vehicle & piece of equipment I own w/ complete service history. I do believe your method is a good method none-the-less - I like it.