Ignition conversion kits - ‘72 Olds 350

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2019 | 04:19 PM

Ignition conversion kits - ‘72 Olds 350

I’m looking for recommendations on a good quality electronic ignition kits. I currently have an Accel conversion kit in my Olds. I’m thinking about changing to Pertronix #1181 or some other brand. Has anyone had any problems with either of these two brands? Is there another brand that’s better than either of these two?
Thanks!
Old August 4th, 2019 | 06:31 PM

I put a Pertronix 71181, Ignitor III, along with their coil (FlameThrower II or III, can't remember right now) on my 425 some years ago. Granted, I've probably only put a couple hundred miles of actual driving on it since, but I've had to start and move it many times. Never had a moments trouble, despite the 54-year-old distributor.

Now I'm in the process of adding a Sniper EFI setup and this version of the Ignitor is not compatible, so I'm switching to a Holley dual-sync instead.

Old August 5th, 2019 | 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Roqetman
I’m thinking about changing to Pertronix #1181 or some other brand.
I used the Pertronix Ignitor on my 64 Olds years ago. It was MUCH better than the OE points.

Originally Posted by Erinyes
Now I'm in the process of adding a Sniper EFI setup and this version of the Ignitor is not compatible, so I'm switching to a Holley dual-sync instead.
If you want to run the Holley Sniper without timing control your Pertronix system should work fine. All the Holley Sniper needs is a TACH input.

I investigated using the dual-sync distributor with a Holley Sniper and it seems you need quite a few additional items like a coil, MSD box and adapter cable. All those extra parts add up quickly. It made me think that I would just get a Holley Sniper without timing control.
Old August 5th, 2019 | 11:00 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I used the Pertronix Ignitor on my 64 Olds 98 years ago. It was MUCH better than the OE points.

You really put that in the car 98 years ago. Damn, you must be the oldest guy here with the oldest car. I didn't know Pertronix had been around that long.
Old August 5th, 2019 | 11:29 AM

Nyuk nyuk.
Old August 5th, 2019 | 11:40 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

No luck here with Pertronix - had their ready to run distributor in my '72 350 and it failed just after the 1yr warranty expired - they wouldn't replace it and cost for a new module was just about the whole distributor price.

Same thing happened years ago in a '72 Skylark I had - Pertronix failed about 1.5 years out, that car was also a semi-regular (nice weather) driver.

I'm now using MSD's ready-to run HEI (has the smaller distributor cap that takes the separate coil) and it's flawless. No more Pertronix ANYTHING for me...
Old August 5th, 2019 | 01:00 PM

I want the timing control, and the Ignitor III has an MSD effect which conflicts with the Sniper (according to Pertronix, so I'll believe them :-) ).

​​​​
Old August 5th, 2019 | 01:05 PM

MSD distributor is probably the best. I tried Pertronix several years ago and the base plate would not line up and fit around the distributor shaft. I ordered a second one and the same deal, no fit, Pertronix #1181. I tried Mallory, couldn’t get it to run. Finally tried Accel and it runs great but it is a pain in the *** to assemble with the distributor in the car.
Old August 5th, 2019 | 01:24 PM
Administrator

If the Accel is working, why change it?
Old August 5th, 2019 | 06:39 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

MSD 8529 ready-to-run - drop in, tune it and go. Mated mine with a Blaster 3 coil.
Old August 9th, 2019 | 06:32 AM

I just received the Pertronix 1181LS yesterday. I’ll report back on the installation. I first attempted to get Breakerless SE since May from two places. After three weeks I called and they said it would be shipped in a week, called two weeks later same story, I cancelled the order. I ordered from another place and the ship date was around two weeks out, the next day I got an E mail ship date revised to 30 days. I called and cancelled the order.

It took 3 days to get the Pertronics.

If the Pertronics doesn’t work out I’ll call the junkyard to get rid of the car.
Old August 9th, 2019 | 06:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
I used the Pertronix Ignitor on my 64 Olds years ago. It was MUCH better than the OE points.
Define "MUCH better".

The spark plugs neither know nor care if the high voltage they get from the coil was triggered by a mechanical switch (points) or an electronic one. All they know is that at some point, the wire from the coil primary side to ground was interrupted, causing the magnetic field to collapse and triggering a high voltage spike from the secondary winding. Of course, most people install their electronic system by replacing pitted, worn out, out of adjustment points and then swear that the electronic system runs better. Ya think?

And yes, I have electronic systems in some of my cars. I didn't do it because I expected a performance improvement. I did it because I'm lazy.
Old August 9th, 2019 | 07:35 AM

Every spring I get my ignition system running great, I'm just sick of having to do it after the car sits unused during winter. Though this spring it ran pretty good, just not as good as it did when I put it away the previous late fall. I also don't like the idea of wondering when the cheap Chinese slave labor made condenser is going to die, I keep a spare with me.
Old August 9th, 2019 | 09:54 AM

I keep a spare HEI module in my glove box. I'm glad I have it handy because the module in the distributor died once.

The Pertronix kit provides reliable spark delivery over points. I suppose the electronic unit can die, just like an HEI module but it was definitely more dependable than points. My dad taught me how to install and gap points and I learned in school too. The original points in my 64 Olds were by no means "old or worn out." The Pertronix kit was the best upgrade I did to my 64 Olds (one of the few) it had better drive ability despite the POS SlimJim Rotohydaramatic.
Old August 9th, 2019 | 10:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

I keep a spare HEI module in my glove box.

I suppose the electronic unit can die, just like an HEI module but it was definitely more dependable than points.
"Definitely more dependable than points"?? So you've been stranded by properly maintained points that went bad? Let's be serious, there isn't a lot in a set of points to go wrong. In just under half a century of driving, I've never had an issue with points. I HAVE, however, had an electronic module go bad and ended up reinstalling the old points that I kept in the glovebox to get home. Hint: you can gap them with a matchbook cover.

In my day job I'm frequently reviewing reliability assessments for aerospace systems. Don't kid yourself that more complex is more reliable or dependable.
Old August 9th, 2019 | 10:50 AM

C'mon!

The Pertronix module I installed was great. I was trying to give the OP positive feedback on Pertronix.
Old August 9th, 2019 | 11:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

C'mon!

The Pertronix module I installed was great. I was trying to give the OP positive feedback on Pertronix.
Sorry, but this is exactly the same mentality of "I have to swap in an LS because it's more reliable".

As I said, I have electronic conversions in some of my cars because I'm lazy. I don't kid myself that they are more reliable or improve performance.

I'll add that if you go to a factory HEI, you at least have the possibility of finding a replacement module at a parts store if it craps out on the road. That's unlikely for a Pertronix or other aftermarket unit.
Old August 9th, 2019 | 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, but this is exactly the same mentality of "I have to swap in an LS because it's more reliable".
But it was SOO SHINY!

Originally Posted by joe_oadavano
That's unlikely for a Pertronix or other aftermarket unit.
I agree.