Harness Restoration

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Harness Restoration

I'm still in the "gathering information" phase of my restoration, and one aspect that has nagged me is the electrical portion.

Just from previous disassembly, I realized that the wires and connectors were brittle as hell. Not very reliable.

The question is - what can you do about it? Are there aftermarket harnesses out there? Do you need to order some spools of wire, coils of solder, and spend some late nights in the basement? Am I better off letting sleeping dogs lie?

And depending on the approach, how much work can I expect? I'm no stranger to electronics, but the work I've done so far has instilled a healthy fear going forward. I really don't have an idea of the extent of the electronics either, as my experience is on considerably newer cars. I've re-wired entire engine harnesses, created harnesses for stand-alones, modified and re-ran chassis harnesses, but at the same time I knew these engines/cars like the back of my hand at that point, and worst case scenario I could pluck a new one from a car at a junkyard. That's not quite the case here.

I'm really hoping this is something people are somewhat familiar with. I don't want to get in too far over my head, although it is pretty much the status quo. ...and if it's anywhere near as bad as Dodge's new TIPM wiring, I think I'd rather eat a bullet.
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Administrator

The older cars are pretty simple.
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:20 PM

If the car you are referring to is your 70 Cutlass, just about every harness and wire for that car is reproduced. Companies such as American Auto Wire, M&H Electric, LectricLimited, Fusick, OPGI are a few of several companies that can help you out.

Brian
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:02 PM

I got an engine harness from American Auto Wire and it was super simple to replace my old one.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I just bought an underhood harness for the 54 from Fusick. Not cheap but makes it correct. This was to repair after an underhood fire so I did not have a lot left to work with.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:26 PM

70 wiring is much simpler then modern. Less relays,electronics, etc. That said, the packard type connectors seldom break, but also can be taken apart to clean. The wire insulation holds up fairly well, sometimes cracks at the connectors.
A good source for connectors is Ron Francis Wiring.
If you can read a modern schematic, you can read old ones.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:37 PM

Just finished with new harness for the front & rear lites & engine for my 72 cutlass using American Auto Wire very smooth job BILL
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM

M&H is good stuff. Had mine set up for HEI and internally regulated alternator out of the box. I think OPGI and YearOne sell their stuff. To redo everything under the hood you'll need the engine harness and the forward light harness.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:06 PM

If the car is stock, a replacement harness is by far the easiest fix. However, a replacement harness wont accommodate aftermarket ignition, upgraded alternators, etc. If you have tackled a Chrysler TIPM, then 60s GM wiring is a walk in the park! Get a factory service manual, the proper series 56 terminals and get started.

I'm in the process of updating the wiring in my 69 with a late 80s 1 ton Chevy truck fuse block, dash, and front light harness. I wanted to do away with the glass fuses, and have more room for electrical accessories instead of drilling a bunch of holes in the firewall.

The wiring for the MSD ignition, nitrous, gages, line lock, trans brake, etc, all runs thru the bulkhead connector, I also added a late model chine module for the headlight and key in ignition warning. Its almost done, its defiantly time consuming but Ill be able to say I did it myself.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:13 PM
car guy

Check out the 68 thread in my signature. I did quite a bit of harness repair on that car.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:30 PM

I like your idea of the rubber cushions on the floorboard. I have been using a few thick beach towels, my back is all scratched up from the seat studs sticking up from the floor!
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:25 AM

Thanks to everyone for the tips.

Originally Posted by m371961
70 wiring is much simpler then modern. Less relays,electronics, etc. That said, the packard type connectors seldom break, but also can be taken apart to clean. The wire insulation holds up fairly well, sometimes cracks at the connectors.
A good source for connectors is Ron Francis Wiring.
If you can read a modern schematic, you can read old ones.
I'll have to check them out.

Also I've had more than my fair share of reading modern schematics between my job and working on my Mustang. Nothing like Ford having an ECM that also relies on a CCRM, FPDM, and enough spare wire thrown in from a previous owner to reach from here to the moon.

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Check out the 68 thread in my signature. I did quite a bit of harness repair on that car.
I'll definitely take a look.
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:57 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I like your idea of the rubber cushions on the floorboard. I have been using a few thick beach towels, my back is all scratched up from the seat studs sticking up from the floor!
Yea they hurt to lay on
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Administrator

I basically did what Richard did on his harness. I cut off all the tape and removed and replaced a melted alternator wire. Replaced a few wires that were also melted with it, retaped and reinstalled. Also due to the fact I changed to a non-standard engine had to reroute and relocate starter and ignition wiring. It was very simple.