GEN Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2023, 04:48 PM

GEN Warning Light

Minor issue 1971 Cutlass. I finally have everything working correctly. Key on, Oil & Gen lamps light. Hot lights at start position. None lit w/ engine running. Battery holds charge for weeks parked. I noticed that the Gen lamp is dimmer than the oil lamp. However, all bulbs are identical, as they were all replaced from the same box. Any ideas? Is this perfectly normal? I replaced the regulator w/ a solid state unit also.

Al

Last edited by Falkon; January 14th, 2023 at 05:27 PM.
Old January 14th, 2023, 06:08 PM
Running On Empty

I can't recall on my '71 CS if one or the other GEN or OIL lamp is brighter than the other with key ON and not started. I "think" one may be a little brighter than the other. Next time I start it I'll have a look. Two things to note which "could" result in a brighter or dimmer illumination is wiring gauge and/or dirty connections. Greater resistance would decrease illumination (all other things being equal). I think both (GEN & OIL) wires are supposed to be 20 AWG. Check for solid connections and clean wire end terminals, etc. Resistance of a wire is inversely proportional to the area of cross section; albeit, a thicker (greater cross-section of) wire will have less resistance (the reason is there exists more cross-section of metal for electrons to travel in a thicker/larger cross-section of wire) while a thinner/smaller cross-section of wire yields more resistance (less metal) to electron flow. Did a PO change gauge wire to accommodate different types of OIL &/or GEN gauges/idiot lights? Check to see the wires are rated as per the CSM (I think they're each 20 AWG). Just a thought.
Old January 15th, 2023, 06:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Falkon
Minor issue 1971 Cutlass. I finally have everything working correctly. Key on, Oil & Gen lamps light. Hot lights at start position. None lit w/ engine running. Battery holds charge for weeks parked. I noticed that the Gen lamp is dimmer than the oil lamp. However, all bulbs are identical, as they were all replaced from the same box. Any ideas? Is this perfectly normal? I replaced the regulator w/ a solid state unit also.

Al
The GEN light gets it's 12V source from the same place as the other idiot lights, but the ground side of the circuit takes a somewhat convoluted path through the regulator. The added connections and wiring add resistance that can cause the light to be a little dimmer.