Fuse block issue??

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2021, 07:56 PM

Fuse block issue??

Ok. I’ve had the radio and clock repaired for my 55 Super 88. I can’t seem to get either to work. I’ve checked the fuses and looked for inline fuses. Everything there seems to be in order. When I used my volt ohm meter, I’m found hot circuits on about the top half of the fuse block. I get no reading on any circuit on the bottom half. I also got a Newport wiper motor. The only place I found to get it to run was on the ignition post on the fuse block. Can a fuse block go bad? Can half a fuse block go bad? What am I missing??
Old September 24th, 2021, 08:48 PM
Oldsdruid

Are the fuses dead even with ignition switch in ON or ACCESSORY?

If you have your factory shop manual handy (if you don't own one you should) the electrical section wiring diagram will show you which fuses are fed straight from the battery and hot at all times, and which fuses are fed thru the ignition switch and hot only with it in ACC or ON/RUN.

I'd think the radio power fuse would be switched.

This assumes the car still has its original wiring and nothing's been buggered.
Old September 25th, 2021, 05:40 AM

Yes. The fuses are dead - key on or off. I do have the shop manual and I know the radio wire is green. Someone had put an after market radio in the glove box and I marked the wires as I removed them. The fuse block has a spot for “radio” near the bottom and a green wire does come off that lug. I think I read somewhere that there is a plug for all the accessory items under the hood - kind of a quick disconnect but I haven’t found it. Don’t know if that’s because it’s semi-hidden or it just isn’t there. I’m taking it in for an alignment today and I’ll ask the mechanic if he has any ideas.
Old September 28th, 2021, 05:04 AM

Wasn’t able to get the alignment done because it needs some new parts. (See related thread “Fuse block issues”). However, the mechanic did find a green wire hanging behind the dashboard that was supposed to be attached to the green lug on the ignition switch. I put that back where it belongs and voila, problem solved. I’ve recently had the clock overhauled but it didn’t work after being re-installed. Checked the now working fuse block and found a burned out fuse in the clock spot. Put in a new fuse and the clock immediately started ticking. I love it when a plan comes together. Thanks for the help. I’m sure I’ll be back with other problems.