Fuel Gauage Rebuild/check

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2012 | 09:08 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Fuel Gauage Rebuild/check

71 442
While I've tried to test my fuel gauage which is out of the car I don't really trust myself. Any recommendations where I might send it or talk to to have it checked out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuel gauage back.jpg (74.3 KB, 34 views)
Old April 1st, 2012 | 10:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Al, here's what you do:

Take a look at your wiring harness / fuel gauge plug.
One wire will be green, the other will be pink.
Connect the green gauge terminal to +12V from a battery or somewhere in your car.
Go down to Radio Shack and buy a pack of 5 47Ω, ½ watt resistors (271-1105) or a pack of 5 22Ω, ½ watt resistors (271-1103).
They're $1.19 a pack, so you could splurge and get both.
Connect a 22Ω resistor to -12V (Negative battery terminal, car ground, whatever) and connect the other end to the other fuel gauge terminal (where the pink wire used to be connected). The gauge should go to ¼.
Now disconnect the resistor from the gauge, and connect a second 22Ω resistor to the end of the first resistor that was connected to the gauge a minute ago. Connect the other end of the new resistor to the gauge terminal. It should read ½.
Now add a third resistor in series and reconnect. It should read ¾.
Now add a fourth (four resistors in a row, head to tail). It should read FULL.
(as you add resistors, you might want to consider using a bit of electrical tape to keep things from touching each other).

You could do the same thing with the 47Ω resistors, only you'd have to settle for either ½ (one resistor) or FULL (two resistors in a row) (or get into connecting them in series-parallel strings, which I don't think you're in the mood for).

Here's a diagram:

That's all there is to it - the gauge will either work or it won't.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuel Gauge Test.jpg (55.7 KB, 126 views)
Old April 1st, 2012 | 11:27 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Al, here's what you do:

Take a look at your wiring harness / fuel gauge plug.
One wire will be green, the other will be pink.
Connect the green gauge terminal to +12V from a battery or somewhere in your car.
Go down to Radio Shack and buy a pack of 5 47Ω, ½ watt resistors (271-1105) or a pack of 5 22Ω, ½ watt resistors (271-1103).
They're $1.19 a pack, so you could splurge and get both.
Connect a 22Ω resistor to -12V (Negative battery terminal, car ground, whatever) and connect the other end to the other fuel gauge terminal (where the pink wire used to be connected). The gauge should go to ¼.
Now disconnect the resistor from the gauge, and connect a second 22Ω resistor to the end of the first resistor that was connected to the gauge a minute ago. Connect the other end of the new resistor to the gauge terminal. It should read ½.
Now add a third resistor in series and reconnect. It should read ¾.
Now add a fourth (four resistors in a row, head to tail). It should read FULL.
(as you add resistors, you might want to consider using a bit of electrical tape to keep things from touching each other).

You could do the same thing with the 47Ω resistors, only you'd have to settle for either ½ (one resistor) or FULL (two resistors in a row) (or get into connecting them in series-parallel strings, which I don't think you're in the mood for).

Here's a diagram:

That's all there is to it - the gauge will either work or it won't.

- Eric
Eric-Thank you so much for your time in explaining this in detail. Radio Shack is closed today, but tomorrow I'll get what you said and work on this. Again, thanks.Things like this bug me to pieces until I know there right. Will keep you posted on the out come
Old April 4th, 2012 | 02:05 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by shimmer
Eric-Thank you so much for your time in explaining this in detail. Radio Shack is closed today, but tomorrow I'll get what you said and work on this. Again, thanks.Things like this bug me to pieces until I know there right. Will keep you posted on the out come
Well I followed the plans. Boy those were exspensive!$ 1.53. Anyhow didn't respond as requested so guess I'm going to have to send it off. Has a couple of loose pins but still got voltage through. My bride said it never did work right since she had the car (1971). Thanks again!
AL (sparky)
Old April 4th, 2012 | 08:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by shimmer
Thanks again!
Glad to help out!

At least now you know that the gauge really is bad, and you're not crazy.
... or at least one out of two .

- Eric
Old April 4th, 2012 | 08:21 PM

That's some great tech. I'm sure I'll use that in a week or two when I hook up the fuel tank. Thanks!

-Justin
Old April 5th, 2012 | 03:33 AM

Don't forget about the 2mm screws from the hobby shop to tighten up those pins...just drive them into the hollow end...Randy had a thread about fixing his pins...
Old April 5th, 2012 | 05:35 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Glad to help out!

At least now you know that the gauge really is bad, and you're not crazy.
... or at least one out of two .

- Eric
Yep! No more hair pulling. Jerry at ClockWorks recommended Instrument Services. Also, D&M as recommended also. Will call them today and see.