converting to HEI distributor

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2016, 07:25 AM

converting to HEI distributor

Guys:
I am converting from points to HEI ignition, my question is about supplying power to the new unit. If I remove the resistance wire to the old points system harness and replace it with a standard wire, is this all that is needed to convert. I want to try and keep the OEM look of the harness without adding additional wires. Any help would be great.
Thanks, Ron
Old March 12th, 2016, 07:48 AM
Administrator

You'll need new spark plug wires. Use a 12ga wire to supply HEI. Your stock timing specs are N/A with an HEI, you need to know how many degrees of mechanical advance is built into the one your going to use to come up with a proper initial timing setting. The vacuum can may have to be changed or limited on the HEI to work with your new settings. Timing curve may need to be changed to your engines needs.

What HEI distributor are you going to use? What are the specs of your engine?
Old March 12th, 2016, 03:29 PM

I found that the Moroso HEI advance curve kit gave 24º mechanical advance, which was the same as my original points distributor so I was able to retain the factory 10º initial setting.

What I later discovered was that a higher initial setting made the engine idle smoother, gave higher vacuum, and the engine RPM didn't drop when the AC was turned on. So, I put the factory HEI weights and center bar back in and that gave ~18º initial and 18º mechanical advance, which was perfect.
Old March 13th, 2016, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You'll need new spark plug wires. Use a 12ga wire to supply HEI. Your stock timing specs are N/A with an HEI, you need to know how many degrees of mechanical advance is built into the one your going to use to come up with a proper initial timing setting. The vacuum can may have to be changed or limited on the HEI to work with your new settings. Timing curve may need to be changed to your engines needs.

What HEI distributor are you going to use? What are the specs of your engine?
Hello:
All of the above questions has been dealt with and figured out, I am down to powering up the distributor. My question is do I pull the the engine harness from the firewall, remove terminal #5 / resistance wire, terminate with a standard 10ga. wire to power the distributor. The vehicle is a 66 Cutlass.
Thanks, Ron
Old March 13th, 2016, 06:36 AM
Administrator

I actually answered that question, but suggested a 12ga wire. 12ga will hold at least 60A.
Old March 13th, 2016, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I actually answered that question, but suggested a 12ga wire. 12ga will hold at least 60A.
Hello:
Thanks, I'll figure it out.
Ron