Clock wiring?

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:48 AM

Clock wiring?

67 Cutlass/442

had dash bezel out to have rechromed. got bright idea to add a clock to it. got good core, had it swapped to quartz mechanism.

Now I need to figure out how to wire it to work.

Fusick has a 'clock harness' for a 67 (which I plan on ordering).

Does anyone have a diagram or picture of what this harness is going to wire into?

Do I pull the ground off of the same place the lighter/switch grounds into the circuit board? Other?

Thanks,
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I can't tell you anything specific about the '67, but, in general, GM clocks are wired off the courtesy circuit, with the dome light and cigarette lighter - orange hot and white ground.

Where did you get the quartz unit for your clock?
I just had mine apart yesterday because I noticed it working (!!) - everything looked great, nice and clean, electric winder working fine, but it kept stopping and starting, and wouldn't run steadily, so, looking at it, I thought I might put in a quartz unit myself.

- Eric
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:06 AM

www.tachman.com in S.C. he's done several pieces of work for me on guages. i just sent my clock to him and he supplied parts and labor.
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I can't tell you anything specific about the '67, but, in general, GM clocks are wired off the courtesy circuit, with the dome light and cigarette lighter - orange hot and white ground.

Where did you get the quartz unit for your clock?
I just had mine apart yesterday because I noticed it working (!!) - everything looked great, nice and clean, electric winder working fine, but it kept stopping and starting, and wouldn't run steadily, so, looking at it, I thought I might put in a quartz unit myself.

- Eric
I had mine out last night as well! Must be something in the air... got it working. They seem to be very sensitive to ground. Wouldn't work unless the case was shut really tight.

I was about to install my quartz unit but noticed 63 is the earliest year Borg clock it will go into. pm me if you want it. It will only fit Borg clocks.
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM

I was wondering about quartz as well what's the plus and minus on using a quartz movement? Can you loss points if you decide to make a show car? Will it keep better time?
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:00 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You will lose points (if the judges are paying attention), and it will keep better time.

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:30 AM

You will lose points (if the judges are paying attention)
I'm curious.

What are the judges paying attention TO? How would the judges ever know that there's a quartz movement if the clock looks stock as it sits in the dash?

Nobody judging a car pulls apart the dashboard to look behind it, and if the judges don't ask, who's going to tell them?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Jaunty,
You can tell by looking at the face. The second hand moves differently.
The regular movement takes either two or four steps per second, the quartz takes on step. It's obvious when you see it.

Also, the original makes that soft "Thunk" every 45 seconds or so.

Like I said, depends on how closely their looking.

- Eric.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

"they're" not "their."

Will correct when I get to a real computer.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:45 AM

You can tell by looking at the face. The second hand moves differently.
I thought of this, and, yes, the second hand stops-starts around while for a non-quartz movement it moves smoothly.

BUT, I've seen auto clocks that do no have second hands. I had a '75 Delta 88 with a factory clock that did not have a second hand. I replaced the movement myself with one of those quartz clock movements you can buy for $10 in the crafts section at Walmart, and it looked totally stock. No way anyone would know without looking behind the dash what kind of movement was there.

I would think that, if a car did have a second hand, you could leave the second hand off when replacing the movement, and no one, not even a judge, would ever know it's missing!

(But I could be wrong!)
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Funny... My '73 Delta DOES have a second hand .

I've been meaning to look into a movement for it, and I'd imagine yours is about the same as mine. I'll go check WalMart then - it's closer than the "crafts" store I was going to go to.

Thanks!

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM

I actually don't know if the clock in the '75 I had was not previously tinkered with by a prior owner. When I took it apart to put in the quartz movement, there was evidence that it had been taken apart before (probably because it didn't work), and it might very well have lost the second hand at that point if it had one.

Yes, putting in the Wal-mart clock movement was not hard. But you have the problem of needing to replace the single AA battery every year or so. I just ran a couple of wires to a little battery holder which I put in the glove box so I could get at it when needed.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

On the '73, the clock is reachable through a hole in the roof of the glove compartment .

- Eric