Both rear turn signal are on at the same time

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Both rear turn signal are on at the same time

Need help here. My rear turn signal both come on at the same time when applied to the right.The left front does not come on at that time. When turning left the left front and rear work as they should, no transfer to the right . I did notice that the left rear light was about half as bright as the right rear when the right signal was applied.This has just happened in the last week and this is a new problem to this car .Where should I start looking? Keep in mind that I an in the mind set that electricity is black magic and needs to be exorcized. This is on my 1955 Olds vert......Tedd
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Need to look for a groung problem on the right side tail light assembly.The tail light bulbs share the ground on each side of the car .So when the groung is lost on the right side tail light assy it pulls ground thru the parking light on the drivers side. The problem could be as simple as a bad bulb or the loss of ground to the right side parking light/turn signal socket.
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM
bil

I don't know if it is a one or two filament bulb,but sometimes a two filament bulb can have one broken and touching the other,resulting in strange patterns.Sort of like the answer above,it sends juice elsewhere in the circuit. ---bil
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:32 PM

I ran into a similar problem with my 66. Every time I would turn the left signal on I would get both rear turn signals and the front left, the right side worked properly. What I found was in the steering column. A small piece of plastic from the turn signal canceller broke off and was stuck between the contacts for the rear turn signals. When I would signal for a left the small piece would activate the contacts for both rears and the front left. Once I removed the broken piece I had to straighten out the contacts a little and they have been working properly ever since.

First off I would check the grounds, it's easier than pulling the steering wheel and as noted above a bad ground can lead to all types of problems.

Good Luck
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Electricity is not my strong suite and I can use all the ideas and help you guys can muster. As soon as the snow melts enough I'll start looking for that short It's about 30 degrees in my garage today 15 inches of snow outside,and the electricity has been off for two days now so not much is getting done. Winter really sucks......Tedd