Baffling battery buying...

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Question Baffling battery buying...

I have no idea why it is, but it is: The OEM-style battery for my '89 CC is a side-poster, but as getting to the terminals is a royal pain thanks to tiny bolt heads in a confined space, having posts on top, too, makes things infinitely easier. But everywhere I look, it's only the cheapest, shortest-warrantied battery in a company's line that comes with a "double" terminal setup.

At O'Reilly, for instance...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...ser&vi=1421637

...the "Super Start Premium" battery with a two-year warranty and side posts only costs the same as the one-year-warrantied "Super Start Economy" with dual posts. Same cranking amps and reserve capacity ratings and seemingly identical in every way but for the post setup, name and sticker colors.

Any idea why? I've searched through the offerings from every battery company I could think of and can't find a "premium" battery that has both terminal sets. As I don't plan to sell her anytime soon and want her to start first time every time for the conceivable future, the idea of a "cheap" battery with a short warranty isn't appealing.

So if anyone knows where I can get a quality two-terminal battery for an '89 Custom Cruiser with a nice long warranty, please let me know. Come Friday I have to buy something, anything, as I'm waking her from her wintertime slumber and her current battery (dated August '09) is stone-dead.

Thanks in advance...
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Beer Connoisseur

You can get a Optima at most local parts stores. model 34/78 or 75/25. Well worth the money, IMO. I had nothing but good experience with them and run them on all my cars.
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Try Walmart. I would have never done that but some article I read a few years ago that rated their batteries good in quality and price. I believe they are Everlast. I have had really good luck with them. As with most stuff, I am sure somebody on here will speak up and say they are crap. I buy all my batteries there. I don't know if they will have what you are looking for but if it was me, I would try.
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Super start batteries are made by Deka/East Penn battery company. It should be a quality battery. To be honest I usually buy whats cheap and run it till it quits. Seems most batteries are hit or miss anymore.
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I guess cheap is a relative thing. I haven't seen a cheap battery in a long time. They are like tires in that they have really gone up.
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Ok, less expensive...
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Unfortunately I think that is what it has become. See you next month.
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Absolutely, look forward to it!
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:38 PM

I will NOT buy batteries from WalMart ever again! I have had the last 4 leak acid very badly and very quickly and several others that just did not last long at all, usually go bad just after their shortened warranty is over. Their top battery is still 3 year free replacement but their prorate warranty period is only 2 years after that. These prorate warranties used to be 5, 6, or 7 years. They have also raised prices considerably while shortening warranties.

I buy all my new batteries at Atwoods. Their best 950-1000 CA 800+CCA battery is dual post and everyday price is $79.95. I just bought 2 on sale at $69.95 each. Both of these cost almost the same as one of the top line batteries at the auto parts stores. I have had very good luck with them and their warranty us as good or better than all other battery retailers. I have also bought their cheaper batteries and they have still lasted 5 or 6 years or more. I don't know how many Atwoods stores are out there since it is a farm and ranch store but I would think there are others versions of it out there.
Old March 26th, 2015, 02:26 AM
same but different

I recently purchased a battery at Oriellys. The associate explained to me they stopped prorating their batteries as well. They only offer the simple warranty now. This seems to be a growing trend.

Something has changed in the battery industry as witnessed by the cost of these things. The price has gone up considerably in the last couple of years.

Its purely speculative on my part, but I think it has something to do with price of lead, its quality and availablity. This could be combined with changes in the industry from upgrades (equipment) to regulations on hazardous materials and transportation. The industry used to be full of name brands and many have merged through the years.
Old March 26th, 2015, 05:09 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Can you buy adaptors to fit a top post battery?. I know they were available in the UK where side post batteries are almost unheard of.
The price of lead has increased over the last few years, but another factor may the cost of disposing of end of life batteries. Batteries used to be worth taking to non ferrous scrap dealers, but you have to pay to get them to take them nowadays in the UK.

Roger.
Old March 26th, 2015, 06:32 AM

I run DEKA Batteries usually get 4 to 6 years they make a dual post just bought one for my sons 71 cutlass. Try Car Quest look for EPM on the battery they are private label for CQ.I buy my from East Penn direct. As far as cost scrap lead 4 years ago was 12 cents a pound now it is 36 cents
Mike Hartley Branch Mgr
Tri City Industrial Power/Deka Motive Power (Fork lift battery dealer)
Old March 26th, 2015, 06:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Have a look at Costco. They prorate and their prices are good.
Old March 26th, 2015, 09:20 AM

Consumers Reports tests batteries every year or so, and one battery brand/group # seldom goes from year as the Top Rated.

There was a time not long ago when there were only about 4 manufacturers in the US, pre China BTW. Emission laws and manufacturing restrictions (no women on the mfg. floor for example, because of the lead) toughened up the battery business for everyone, until China.