Anybody know anything about Redi-Rad?

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2009 | 06:11 PM
Registered Luser

Arrow Anybody know anything about Redi-Rad?

Was wondering if anyone may have or seen this product that hooks up to your original radio and plays through your original speakers. You can hook an MP3 or I-Pod to it and it will play through your radio. If so, I'd like to know what you think, and also, is my '65 Vista a positive ground electrical system or a negative ground system? Any feedback is much appreciated!!!
Old August 28th, 2009 | 06:34 PM

Hey Erik,
Does it have to be for an AM radio? I have an FM transmitter made by Monster cable and it works great. Another option you might look at that was mentioned on here is that you can have the guts replaced with an upgraded tuner and input jack so you can listen to an MP3 player. This option retains the stock appearance, but they are kind of pricy.
Take care,
Ross
Old August 28th, 2009 | 06:43 PM

Heres a link to the stereo upgrade thread:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...und-radio.html
Old August 28th, 2009 | 06:46 PM
Registered Luser

This is it, my am still works and would like to keep it that way...I guess it might work for fm?
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu8nfh5...coveradio.com/
Old August 28th, 2009 | 06:53 PM

Reading their frequently asked questions, it plugs into the antenna wire (inline before the radio).
The RediRad™ installs easily with only four simple steps:
1. Connect power and ground wires to vehicle power and vehicle ground, respectively.
2. Unplug the vehicle’s antenna cable from the radio and plug it into your RediRad™.
3. Plug the male coaxial RediRad™ cable into your radio.
4. Insert the audio cable (1/8” male plug) into your portable player’s headphone socket.

Old August 28th, 2009 | 07:16 PM

Erik,
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I was doing some searches and this is a pretty interesting video on how a guy used a firewire cable to hardwire an IPOD cable to his car stereo. Not sure if you could do this with older (tube type?) radio, or not.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/897853...sten_recharge/
Old August 29th, 2009 | 02:54 AM

Unhappy Grounded

Your '65 Vista should be negative ground unless someone has been messing around with it!!! Battery negative to engine block = negative ground...
Old August 29th, 2009 | 12:34 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Your '65 Vista should be negative ground unless someone has been messing around with it!!! Battery negative to engine block = negative ground...
Yes it is thank you for answering...I guess that makes sense !
Old August 29th, 2009 | 09:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
My conscience has gotten the better of me and I just can't hold this in any longer.

The burden has been just too much to bear/Jamesbo.

I confess...I was messing around with Erik's car and switched the polarity around.
Old November 6th, 2009 | 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by sixty9olds
Hey Erik,
Does it have to be for an AM radio? I have an FM transmitter made by Monster cable and it works great.
Hey Ross, my 70 Cutlass has an original analog AM/FM radio - so, off the shelf FM transmitters work on the analog tuners? I would think it would be hard to lock in. If you had success (or others forum members) please post your experience. Thanks.
Old November 6th, 2009 | 08:59 AM

Question

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Was wondering if anyone may have or seen this product that hooks up to your original radio and plays through your original speakers. You can hook an MP3 or I-Pod to it and it will play through your radio. If so, I'd like to know what you think, and also, is my '65 Vista a positive ground electrical system or a negative ground system? Any feedback is much appreciated!!!
And back to the original question on the RediRad: Anyone else have any feedback to share on the quality of the playback?
Old November 6th, 2009 | 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
Hey Ross, my 70 Cutlass has an original analog AM/FM radio - so, off the shelf FM transmitters work on the analog tuners? I would think it would be hard to lock in. If you had success (or others forum members) please post your experience. Thanks.
Yes, off the shelf will work. All the device does is create a low amplification fm signal that can only be received from a short distance. I like the Monster cable version, it's digital, so it will work with a digital FM tuner as well. This is what I would do when using it with an original radio- find an area on the dial that the tuner isn't receiving any signal. Tune the Monster (or other transmitter) to a channel in the open "band". Then tune your original stereo to obtain the strongest signal from the Monster transmitter. Oh, and you need to connect a CD player or MP3 player to the monster to get sound.
Old November 6th, 2009 | 03:26 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
I just got an e-mail that redi-rad now has it for FM also.....