Anyone know anything about this 1970 W30?

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Anyone know anything about this 1970 W30?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ORS:1123#v4-42

It is my favorite color combination.
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice find

I know I wish I owned it. Gorgeous looking 4 speed BBO. Has some really nice detail shots. Wonder what the reserve is. It will likely go for some good $$$$. You could ask for the VIN and cowl tag info. If it's a special order pnt I believe it should be -- --

I understand why you ask the question, you could always ask the seller what kind of history he can provide or document, and who did the resto - there should be pics of that. IMO he has acted wisely by stating
I do not have documentation, although I do know some history that supports its authenticity. I bought the car as the nicest 442 I’ve ever seen, knowing it is a real 442, and in all likelihood a real W-30, since it has all the right W-30 stuff. It’s a magnificent restoration, the single best color in my opinion, and it runs, looks and drives like a new car.
I do not want to engage in Internet one-upmanship trying to prove who knows more about W-30s; for those who need to prove they know more about Oldsmobiles than I do, I surrender before we start. However, I am more than willing to check anything and everything for serious buyers beyond what I have said and shown to assist them in their determination and decision.
Old October 24th, 2011, 04:35 PM

Although I always appreciated Rallye Red it was never a fav, but man, that car looks unbelievable and it sure looks like a very well down restoration wow, nice car
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Although I always appreciated Rallye Red it was never a fav, but man, that car looks unbelievable and it sure looks like a very well down restoration wow, nice car
Steven, good eye on tagging it as Rally Red. That was special order paint and listed as -- -- on the cowl tag. This is also what the seller claims - special order paint but doesn't say how it relates to the cowl, just lists it as XX XX. One thing that's cool about the rallye red (code 73) is it sure does match the red inner fender liners!

I'm watching to see how much it sells for. Whoever did the resto seems to have done a decent job, but it's not fresh. Would love to see some shots of under the car though. I think this is a bit of an older restoration. If you look at the pic of the rag joint, steering gearbox, steering shaft it's not a complete overhaul, or it's got some miles on it. The VIN tag area looks like it has bondo or sanding marks under it. Still it's a great looking 41 year old car!!
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Hopefully I don't start a debate since it's all about semantics, but I don't consider Rally Red a special-order color - it was an extra-cost color. A special-order color would be one that wasn't on the 4-4-2's palette, such as Ming Jade (like one that was on eBay a number of years ago).
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Diego
Hopefully I don't start a debate since it's all about semantics, but I don't consider Rally Red a special-order color - it was an extra-cost color. A special-order color would be one that wasn't on the 4-4-2's palette, such as Ming Jade (like one that was on eBay a number of years ago).
Understood Diego.
I'm simply quoting the 1970 Paint Color selection guide. It shows a swatch of Rallye Red with code *73. The * at the bottom of the page says
*Special Order - The code on the tag was just a double slash --

The * appears with code 51 Sebring Yellow (which was the R350 code or non code. Depending on the cowl tag some R350's had the -- and some were 51/51)
* also appears on code 38 Aegean Aqua (I think that was a color I've only seen on Toros of that year) I've never seen a 70 Cutlass or 442 in that color from the factory.

While I don't understand the semantics of why some color watches were Special Order, I have yet to see a window sticker or bill of sale showing that they were extra cost.
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:25 PM

I'm pretty sure the 4 "special-order" colors were extra-cost - otherwise, why bother segregating them?
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Diego
I'm pretty sure the 4 "special-order" colors were extra-cost - otherwise, why bother segregating them?
I don't know. Do you have anything that says they were extra cost?
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM

nugget gold was a "special order" color and the original order form on mine did up charge for it - the cowl says "- -" since its a hardtop
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
* also appears on code 38 Aegean Aqua (I think that was a color I've only seen on Toros of that year) I've never seen a 70 Cutlass or 442 in that color from the factory.
I' saw a W30 Convertible and a 442 hard top Aegean Aqua, I almost painted my car that color just to be different - they are great looking cars in the sun.
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:59 PM

i do not want to engage in internet one-upmanship trying to prove who knows more about w-30s;
for those who need to prove they know more about oldsmobiles than i do, i surrender before we start.
lmfao!!!!

I agree, THE BEST color combo amidst many hideous one's.
Old October 25th, 2011, 04:22 AM

A Rallye red W-30 4spd one of my dream cars.Very nice car!!!
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Trying to remember member

Oldsmobile called them "Special Order" colors, so no matter what one thinks, that is the official term for them. And they did cost extra. Those colors were not in the regular paint system, so there was special processing involved. Thus the extra cost and the terminology.
I think Rally Red is orange, but that doesn't change the name.
And as you can see, there are code numbers for them. Some bodies with these colors did come with the correct codes on the cowl tags in lieu of the --.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1970 SPECSx_Page_19.jpg (30.7 KB, 44 views)
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Lance

My Fremont built '70 Rally Red 442 has a "73" stamped on the trim tag.
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:27 AM

At the Nats, I met a restorer who had a theory about the coding for paint. Normally, other GM brands, it seems a special-order paint (one that wasn't RPO) would get the dashes. But I too have seen both codes and dashes on Oldsmobiles. I can't quite remember the theory that this restorer had, but something like if the car was ordered, it would have the code, but if it was a sales bank car, it would have the dashes.

I was at Carlisle last year and saw a white 4-4-2 with the dashes. Owner swore up and down that it was ordered as white. Certainly there's a story to why, but I don't know what it is. Maybe the plant has something to do with it too? That wouldn't be unheard of.
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:39 AM

Any guesses as to where the bidding will stop?
Or what is his reserve?
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:50 AM

This I do know from looking at the pics, those side stripes are horrible.
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
This I do know from looking at the pics, those side stripes are horrible.
That was pointed out in a PM to me. Good catch!
Old October 25th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Olds fanatic

Sure looks like a nice car...but I'll bet the farm that's a reproduction hood. The left front corner lines up too good. An original would never look that good. To me, that would be the biggest red flag for authentication.

I appreciate that he admits he has no docs and doesn't know 'everything' about these cars, but none of the correct stuff he points out will authenticate the car. I think by now we all understand that with these cars there is a big difference in actual $$ value between a clone and an original; that's why documentation for these cars is necessary to get top market value. It's a nice car and he should get good money, but not real W30 money.

Btw, my sebring Yellow Cutlass SX has '-' on the data tag but I have a Broadcast sheet I found inside the bucket seat back that shows the paint code of 51.
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM
delete

Wing looks to be an add-on. If that was added who knows what else was.
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:13 PM

a close friend of mine has a 70 RR Cutlass W-31, and it has 73 on the trim tag...its a stunning car, RR, white interior, with a black stripe.....very cool car...