Another convertible top underhood wiring question

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM

Another convertible top underhood wiring question

I've been reading every thread that I can find but my question still isn't answered. I hope one of you "top" guru's can help me out. My top stopped working and it was the dash switch so I put in a 50 amp toggle switch under the dash and it worked one time. Then it stopped again. If I use a jumper wire from the battery, I can tell the switch is OK as the top up and top down work fine that way. I did a continuity test on the power wire coming from the horn relay to inside at the toggle switch so I know which wire on the horn relay is the right one. The problem is that I now have no power through that wire to the toggle switch under the dash. Reading some ot the posts, I found out there is a "breaker" under the hood on the firewall behind the power brake booster. My power wire goes into what appears to be a one piece rubber molded thingy that is attached somehow to the firewall. Can that be my problem? If so, how do I change it out? Can I pry it out without damaging anything? Inside under the dash, all these wires come through the firewall right above the fuse block where you can't see a thing so that is no help. Can someone please shed some light on this? Thanks.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:25 AM

That 'rubber thingy' is a protective boot that is covering a circuit breaker that feeds power for your more thirsty accessories...there is a split on one side and it can be carefully moved aside to check or replace the breaker-two screws-
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:02 AM

I'll give it a look. Thanks so much for the tip.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM

Another underhood convertible top wiring question

Hey YellowStatue,
I've discovered the wire from the horn relay to the breaker on the firewall is defective. Do you know it that 3 feet piece of wire is supposed to have a fusable link built in or is it just a plain wire? Thanks again.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:11 AM

PM sent.