Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2023, 12:09 PM
Running On Empty

FYI
Yellow: From Starter Post>IGN COIL
Purple: From Starter Post>Neutral Start & Backup Light Switch
Old April 7th, 2023, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The only stupid question is the question which never gets asked. Never be afraid to ask a question - never.
From the factory, your car had three wires on the starter, a battery cable to the large post on the solenoid, a purple wire to the "S" (for START) terminal, and a yellow wire to the "R" (for RESISTOR BYPASS) terminal.
Purple>S
Yellow>R
GREAT BIG WIRE>GREAT BIG POST
If the starter is working correctly, chances are you got it correct. Never hurts to double-check your work once you have confirmation.
Thank you!!!!!
Old April 7th, 2023, 03:23 PM

Huge thanks. Shes charging

Thank you EVERYONE for your patience and help. She’s chargin as she should. Bad ground(s).
Old April 7th, 2023, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

GEN lamp on dash cluster operating correctly?
Old April 7th, 2023, 04:08 PM

GEN lamp on dash cluster operating correctly?
I would say so, but no 100% sure I know what normal operation is. Before, it would glow at idle - when revved it would go off. Now, it's just off all the time while running. I assume it may light up on start up and then go off?
Old April 7th, 2023, 04:10 PM
Running On Empty

Turn IGN switch to ON - car not running, GEN lamp should illuminate. Turn IGN switch to start and start car - GEN lamp should NOT illuminate.
Old April 7th, 2023, 04:13 PM

Turn IGN switch to ON - car not running, GEN lamp should illuminate. Turn IGN switch to start and start car - GEN lamp should NOT illuminate.
I shall check and report back :-). I love this car. Stll a ways to go before she's on the road, but very excited. Thank you!
Old April 7th, 2023, 04:18 PM

Great news...good work!!!
Old April 7th, 2023, 04:19 PM
Running On Empty

NOTE: It is important for you to arrest that corrosion on the condenser attached to the VR. Once it begins it rapidly progresses & yours is a complete hindrance. It will impede electron flow in your circuitry throughout the firewall & most likely your new VR. Replace it ASAP. For now, just remove it - it "IS" a hindrance to electron flow for nearly everything which attaches to the firewall and any wires along its path. You aren't using it right now most likely anyways - so remove it until you replace it.
Old April 7th, 2023, 04:40 PM

NOTE: It is important for you to arrest that corrosion on the condenser attached to the VR. Once it begins it rapidly progresses & yours is a complete hindrance. It will impede electron flow in your circuitry throughout the firewall & most likely your new VR. Replace it ASAP. For now, just remove it - it "IS" a hindrance to electron flow for nearly everything which attaches to the firewall and any wires along its path. You aren't using it right now most likely anyways - so remove it until you replace it.
Will do. What do you mean though: “you’re not using it right now most likely anyways”? Do I choose to use it, or do certain instruments/electrical components bring it into use?
Old April 7th, 2023, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by jpilk99
Will do. What do you mean though: “you’re not using it right now most likely anyways”? Do I choose to use it, or do certain instruments/electrical components bring it into use?
I couldn’t get one at Autozone that had the same connector. Looking in ebay - assuming that if I get one that is the same “5MF” rating that I should be good?
Old April 7th, 2023, 05:11 PM
Running On Empty

It is only a high frequency bypass to ground for radio noise suppression - ONLY. It is NOT a functional part of the charging system. The condenser (capacitor) on a GM Delco voltage regulator is ONLY for RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) suppression...it is not in the "Field" circuit where the alternator field (rotor) contacts are located. There exists a capacitor inside the distributor and most likely attached to the IGN coil, as well. Both serve two entirely different functions. Albeit, as I said...you're most likely not using the radio much right now; so, remove it until you can replace it. The reason you should replace it is because I can see both the bracket and the (radio) condenser are full of corrosion. This corrosion will only get worse and it CAN impede electron flow which is vital to your electrical (continuity) system. Pay attention to your wiring diagram.

Old April 7th, 2023, 05:20 PM
Running On Empty

Look at the illustration (capacitor Part #1961919) in Post 22
Old April 7th, 2023, 05:25 PM
Running On Empty

I couldn’t get one at Autozone that had the same connector. Looking in ebay - assuming that if I get one that is the same “5MF” rating that I should be good?
I believe that is 0.5MF (note the decimal)?
Old April 7th, 2023, 05:36 PM
Running On Empty

On eBay>>>64-74 Gm Oem Radio Noise Voltage Delco Remy Regulator Capacitor With Clips .5Mf
Has the pigtail and correct connector. Free shipping.
Old April 7th, 2023, 05:46 PM
Running On Empty

Looking in ebay - assuming that if I get one that is the same “5MF” rating that I should be good?
You'll find several on eBay of the exact Part #1961919 stamped - most are used and some are suspect, IMO. I would not consider purchasing a used electrical component UNLESS it were for a concours (judged) competition vehicle. A new capacitor/condenser would be my preference.
On eBay>>>64-74 Gm Oem Radio Noise Voltage Delco Remy Regulator Capacitor With Clips .5Mf
Old April 7th, 2023, 05:56 PM

It is only a high frequency bypass to ground for radio noise suppression - ONLY. It is NOT a functional part of the charging system. The condenser (capacitor) on a GM Delco voltage regulator is ONLY for RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) suppression...it is not in the "Field" circuit where the alternator field (rotor) contacts are located. There exists a capacitor inside the distributor and most likely attached to the IGN coil, as well. Both serve two entirely different functions. Albeit, as I said...you're most likely not using the radio much right now; so, remove it until you can replace it. The reason you should replace it is because I can see both the bracket and the (radio) condenser are full of corrosion. This corrosion will only get worse and it CAN impede electron flow which is vital to your electrical (continuity) system. Pay attention to your wiring diagram.

Thank you
Old April 7th, 2023, 07:41 PM

If it’s only corrosion on the metal contact surfaces, cleaning them with a wire brush, Scotch Brite pad, sandpaper, etc should be sufficient.
Old April 7th, 2023, 08:11 PM
Running On Empty

Unless you’re die-hard for listening to AM radio a better alternative would be to remove it entirely.