72 wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2010, 04:42 PM

72 wiring harness

anybody have any good leads as to where i might be able to scavenge a good used main engine wiring harness for a decent price that belongs to a 72 cutlass s 350/350 a/t ? or a dash harness? i know i can get one new from fusick but don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something that i can repair for a fraction of the cost, only my engine harness is almost too hacked up to repair.
Old April 24th, 2010, 04:46 PM

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm going to say it anyway.
Buy new ones. I know it's a hit in the wallet but these cars are almost 40 years old. The insulation deteriorates as well as the wire building up resistance. It's just not worth the hassle of trying to find a used one that "looks" good when you could save some money up and get new ones.
I really need to take some pictures of my under hood harness' that I removed from my 442. They were in more than sad condition and there was no way I was going to look for used ones.
The $300 I spent on the under hood harness' was WELL worth the investment. I now have piece of mind knowing that none of my wiring is going to fail in the foreseeable future.
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:47 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Rocket, I have my old main harness I took out of my 72 a year or so ago. You could have it for just the cost of shipping. It is not the greatest in the world, and isn't 100% complete, but the fusebox is in good shape. I am kot home right now but I will look over it and see what harnesses it may be missing (courtasy light, glovebox light, etc) But if you could use anything off of it, it's yours. But like svnt442 said, if you can afford a new one, do it. I was lucky enough to come across an original harness on eBay that looked like it had never been used. Let me know.
Old April 24th, 2010, 08:52 PM

I have done automotive electrical for years & have many spools different colors & guages & assortments of OEM style connectors I have scraped many cars for long wires colors & codes done alot of add on's pwr windows locks ect, Always deeding that extra 3' of 14-16 GA lt blu rd tracer ect Shrink tube & solider are your friends
Old April 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM

yes shrink tube is the best stuff ever. i've remade a small harness already with all new wires and connectors and reran the alternator wires, need to do a few others but mainly i need the connectors, im not scared to rerun wires and do some soldering. anything i could work with is better than nothing. ill shoot you a pm silver