69 442 soft horn

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2022 | 09:40 PM

69 442 soft horn

My horn sounds, but very softly. Is this a horn relay issue?

Additionally, I need to R&R my turn signal cancels, Does the horn cap pull straight off?
I pulled firmly but no go, I dont want to force it and break something.

Thanks
Old April 30th, 2022 | 02:34 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

I suspect there may be 3 pedals under the dash. Unless I missed it in prior posts, I didn't realize it's a 4-speed? That makes it more special in my book.

IMMIC the horn button is a pull off. If I'm wrong others will chime in. Happy Motoring!
Old April 30th, 2022 | 05:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Try a little no-cost troubleshooting before replacing any parts. Run a jumper wire directly from the battery to each horn and listen to them. It they sound correct that way, then the problem is low voltage to the horns, which could be anything from the wire, to the relay, to the power source. If the direct wiring to the horns is still too soft, then it's either the horns or the grounds where they bolt to the core support or the core support to the rest of the car.
Old April 30th, 2022 | 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by tnswt
I suspect there may be 3 pedals under the dash. Unless I missed it in prior posts, I didn't realize it's a 4-speed? That makes it more special in my book.

IMMIC the horn button is a pull off. If I'm wrong others will chime in. Happy Motoring!
Yes she's a 4 speed, I just got her a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll give it a little more umph pulling on the horn button

Old April 30th, 2022 | 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Try a little no-cost troubleshooting before replacing any parts. Run a jumper wire directly from the battery to each horn and listen to them. It they sound correct that way, then the problem is low voltage to the horns, which could be anything from the wire, to the relay, to the power source. If the direct wiring to the horns is still too soft, then it's either the horns or the grounds where they bolt to the core support or the core support to the rest of the car.

Yes that's solid advice, I'll do just that.

Thanks Joe
Old April 30th, 2022 | 11:32 PM

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygOegUIARDlAQ

use a plastic orange peeler or similar to gently pry the cap off go from the bottom or start the car and flip the wheel over
just in case of a slipnscuff

if your horns whimpy I can help you possibly wake em up ,,, you have 2 of them a high and a low ... powered by a green wire ,,,,
also loosen the bolt and resnug.... sometimes its a ground issue but not often

if they are still whimpy after jumping them give me a ring 2o6 4six5 9165 I have a couple things you can try

69-72 cutlass horns interchange ,,, all 4 years so someone may have loud horns stashed for you , I just sold my last pair,,,

4 speed ac console lookin gooood !!!

Scott

Old May 2nd, 2022 | 07:05 PM

Great stuff, thank you!!
I'm talking with another member right now and I'm going to buy the olds bible from him.

This diagram is just what I'm looking for
Next chance I get, I'll start on these issues,
and perhaps give you a ring if I get stuck.

Thanks