68 442 headlight switch removal

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2014, 06:27 PM

68 442 headlight switch removal

im in the process of reinstalling my interior i installed the dash together as im putting in the headlight switch **** im noticing the **** will not stay inside the switch it pulls out i do remember there used to be a clip inside the switches that held the **** i believe the clip is missing or broke i did purchase a new switch and when installing the nkob in the new switch it holds into place the question i have is that im under the dash and attemping to remove the switch i dont know if it needs to be turned and unthreaded from the front panel or does the face plate need to come out in order to remove the switch i do see on the new switch it seems to be threaded i just dont know if the face plate on the dash needs to be removed if anyone had the experience and is willing to share their knowledge i would appreciate it before i take apart to much i would like to get an idea thanks
Old January 27th, 2014, 06:42 PM

I believe the is a spring loaded pin on the bottom of the switch that needs to be depressed to allow the shaft to go all the way into the switch... could be wrong, it has been a while since I replaced one.
Old January 27th, 2014, 06:45 PM

Not real clear if your new or old switch is failing to retain the ****.

It's possible you can just press the **** in better and it will pop in past the latch point, and you are done. In case you don't press the button on the switch while inserting the shaft with the switch in the "ON" position, you are supposed to be able to still get the shaft in properly by inserting it with enough force. Not so much that you break the dash.

to remove the switch, yes, the 2-3 finger sized plastic recessed bezel on the outside, with slots in it, is also a nut that screws into the switch. If you don't have the special tool, and few of us do, then to avoid mangling the plastic part, just turn it with your fingers. Urge it counter clockwise while you twist the switch body backside both CW and CCW. The bezel should unscrew pretty easily with that technique. If not, it might be time to buy the tool, or fabricate one. Borrow one?

I did have a bad experience once with a presumably Chinese switch that would not RELEASE the shaft. I had to cut the shaft to get the switch out. Close inspection revealed poorly made latch parts inside, which would never have let go of the shaft.

Last edited by Octania; January 28th, 2014 at 04:29 AM.