67 cutlass 4 spd backup light switch

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2020 | 03:55 PM

67 cutlass 4 spd backup light switch

Looking at 4 pages of back posts on issues of back up light switch and cant find a pic of 67 4 spd whereby the back up switch is mounted on the passenger side of trans only see earlier 4 spd and they are mounted on driver side. I have new correct switch but cant seem to understand exactly how to mount it. It seems the connecting rod will hit the bracket and not let the switch turn on. When using ohm meter the arm has to travel further down and when this happens either the rod or the arm will hit the bracket and not go into position to allow lights to come on. so maybe a pic of the actuator rod will show that I either have the correct one or not? As always thanks, Mike

rod hits

arm hits

is this correct rod?

Last edited by Rocket Olds; January 13th, 2020 at 03:56 PM. Reason: additional verbage
Old January 16th, 2020 | 04:20 PM

I figured it out myself. Mainly I was confused as laying under the car (old school) looking upside down and realized that I mentioned switch was on wrong side but was not afterall. My bad. I figured it out that the switch was correct and on correct side of trans and the lever actually goes opposite of what I thought when I had it out of the car. I installed new switch so everything works now as it should. thanks to everyone that read this post and had a good laugh and did not make a fool out of me publicly but instead allowed me to discover for myself the fact that I did know what I was talking about nor what I thought I saw while laying on my back. I must have been drinking my bathwater again. Thanks, Mike

Last edited by Rocket Olds; February 3rd, 2020 at 06:09 AM. Reason: add picture
Old January 17th, 2020 | 05:35 AM

Well done figuring it out, maybe post a picture of it installed to wrap up the thread for future searches.
Old January 17th, 2020 | 09:03 AM

I usually figure stuff like that out at about 3 am and have to get up and go do it right then.
Old January 17th, 2020 | 05:28 PM

3 am

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
I usually figure stuff like that out at about 3 am and have to get up and go do it right then.
Exactly...
Old February 3rd, 2020 | 06:23 AM

here is pic of final install. I had not purchased the whole kit for a switch which includes a bracket that I had already and a splash shield that I did not know about until I had sent off for the switch cause mine was missing. at this point I am not going to purchase one as I dont plan getting caught in the rain. But that is me. Also notice the arrow pointing to the "external hair pin clip" after many trips to several places I did find these at Home Depot in a pkg of 2 for $.76 . I probably spent $10.00 in gas so you wont have to. By the way I installed my switch with 4 speed in reverse and I had to bend the connecting rod a little and pivot the switch a little to make sure that switch was engaged and had continuity at the plug end before wrapping up. Hope this might help another beginner like me.

note hair pin clip

Old February 3rd, 2020 | 11:01 AM

I believe your switch is upside down, pic is from my '68 right after I rebuilt the trans, same setup as '67. The small link rod wasn't connected to the reverse lever in this pic as I was adjusting the linkage.

Last edited by rob1960; February 3rd, 2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2020 | 12:24 PM

You maybe right but the way I hooked mine up was the way is was when I removed it. Doesnt mean I was right it just was the way it was. I will do some checking for other pictures to see . But I do like the way wire harness is ran. Obviously it can be mounted either way.
Old February 3rd, 2020 | 02:54 PM

Very nice install and thanks for picture, now I need to find a setup for my '65
Old February 29th, 2020 | 04:10 PM

finally got around to checking to see if it worked properly, and it did NOT.. Rob1960 You were right about being upside down. When I finally checked it the lights worked but they worked all the time the key was on. 2 problems; first installing upside down made the connecting rod from switch to reverse lever hit the bracket, second was me thinking that if trans was in reverse when installing that everything would fall in place....WRONG, got to use the alignment holes and trans in neutral. Works like it is supposed to now. Thanks to all, Mike
Old March 1st, 2020 | 04:04 AM

Glad it worked out for you!