Headlite trouble on my 57

Old November 21st, 2014, 06:42 AM
Sid

Headlite trouble on my 57

I am having trouble with my lights , when I turn them on they come right on but after a few minutes they go out when I say out I mean all lights lose all. Dash ,tail, park,headlights , so I turn the switch off. Wait a few minutes and they come back on, then in a few minutes they go off again, this happen if the car is moving or parked. I have checked to see if I have a bad connection and I cant find any. Have checked the headlight ground, I do have light switch that I replaced last year that I bought from Fusick. I'm at a loss on what is causing this, any help on this will be appreciated.

SID
Old November 21st, 2014, 07:35 AM

It must be in the switch - I replaced mine from Fusick and been having the same exact problems that you have. I think there is some kind of fuse that must cut out and then come back on when cooled down. It is frustrating because it comes and goes. I called Fusick and asked if they were having problems with those switches. They said no. I did not have that problem until I replaced the switch. The old switch was hard to pull in and out. I might just put it back and see what happens .

Rick
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:24 AM
Sid

Head lite trouble on my 57

Rick, thanks for the feed back on the light switch, will call and see what Fucisk has to say? It sure has been a mystery to me and have spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, have had to leave car at home not being able to drive early in morning or at night. P.S I just got off the phone to Fucisk and they want me to send the switch back so they can check it out, they make the switch . He told me there is circuit in the switch that would make the lights to blink in there was a short or bad ground, but they should not go off and stay off.

SID

Last edited by Sid; November 21st, 2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:43 AM

I believe the switch has a circuit breaker that will cause this. Saw an article in Hot Rod or Car Craft about a 50s GM having this trouble with replacement switch. They re-bent the strip in the breaker. I would raise nicely hell with Fusick.
Old November 21st, 2014, 09:12 AM

I had a 80's era Econoline van that that would happen usually in some place away from home. I started packing a wire with alligator clips that I could jump to the battery in a emergency, got me home on a couple instances till I got it repaired....Tedd
Old November 21st, 2014, 09:53 AM

SID - Glad to hear they are checking it out - I replaced mine about two years ago so I do not know if they will stand behind it. I got caught out coming home and lost the lights and had to keep pulling off until they came back on. Later they worked ok but I still do not trust them yet. Let me know what Fusick finds and if there is a problem with the switch I will send it back. Sorry you had a problem but at least now I know I am not the Lone Ranger. This is why this forum is GREAT!
Rick
Old November 21st, 2014, 10:19 AM

SID - I got curious about when I had the problem start - I must be getting old because time is flying by. I found my post on here from October 25 2011 -" 1956 Oldsmobile headlight problems". The post went just like yours did.

Rick
Old November 22nd, 2014, 05:16 AM
Sid

Rick

Thanks for all the information on your light problem with the switch, will keep you posted on what I find out from Fuscik.

SID