57 fiesta brake lamp switch wiring. need help

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:27 PM

57 fiesta brake lamp switch wiring. need help

hey guys, been poking around with our wiring for the past week. the previous owner did a lot of switching around with the wiring and weve had a hell of a time getting things correctly. we started with no brake lights, park lights, taillights, power windows etc.

we are trying to get our brake lamp switch to function properly. the diagram in the shop manual doesn't do a good job of showing exactly which two wires hook up to the switch. we have one wire coming off the fuse panel as the power source for the switch , then another that comes off the turn signal switch, like I think the diagram shows, but that doesn't do anything. I rigged something up where I removed the turn signal switch wire, and hooked up wires from the brake lamps directly to the brake lamp switch which actually works, but problem is now when I do the turn signals ( which don't blink, but that's another situation ) both brake lamps light up in either direction. although the brakes worked doing it this way, I know it wasn't the correct way because olds has the turn signal and brakes tied in together.

was wondering if anyone with a 57 olds could maybe point me in the right direction on this. I keep telling myself this is common sense, but it really has me ticked off because I cant drive the car with no brake lights! although im very tempted

also, I should probably mention we replaced the flasher with a generic electronic flasher from pepboys. it doesn't seem to flash, so im not sure if this has something to do with it. another thing, our instrument panel , a lot of the bulbs don't light up, you have to kinda jiggle them to get good connection. if the turn signal bulbs weren't lighting up, maybe that might have something to do with it. just guessing at this point since the brake lights and turn signal are all on same switch on the column. total novice at this, if you haven't guessed already lol electrical aint my thing

Last edited by New2Olds57; July 1st, 2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:49 PM

after messing with it tonight, this is where I stand. the brake switch works perfect, and according to the manual. what I did was at the turn signal switch, there are 6 connectors, 2 rows of 3, and I put all the plugs that were on the top row, on the bottom row and vice versa. it helped, but not correct with the manual. now the brake lights work, the turn signals work in the back ( they don't flash, I think the flasher isn't correct ) , but the front signals don't go on like they did before. im getting closer but I think theres still something not right down there.

oh well, til next time.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:17 AM

'57 Fiestas travelling at the speed of light do not need brake lights! On the dash lights, remove the twist in bulb holders and clean the contacts and gently bend the contacts and replace...sometimes one bulb out will affect the flashing department. Now I gotta go out and look at my switch to see whats up.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:24 AM

Maybe this wiring diagram will help. See attached link

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...re5765-276.jpg
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:43 AM

Did you try cleaning the contacts in the actual turn signal switch itself? Not the pins you can get easily at, but the contacts where you have to disassemble the switch itself?
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:19 AM

thanks for all the help. ive been cleaning contacts on the whole car like crazy. the ones on the fuse panel were really bad and I think had the most impact what I was doing. as for the turn signal switch, we bought a new one because I took it apart to clean it and it got all messed up in the process. thought buy a new one and not worry about it.

the 6 connects for the TS switch at the plug. the manual shows 2 rows of 3 connectors. in their picture it shows red, white, green closest to the column, and on top of that blue, orange, yellow.

when I did it this way, I got nothing, nothing would work at all. so I switched the rows contrary to the picture, and now I have brake lights at the switch, my turn signals in the back are going side to side but they aren't flashing, which is ok. you know I just bought a generic pep boys flasher, not sure if that will do the trick.

im a little closer on this tho. this is the closest ive been on the brake lights, turn signal. I will clean the dash bulbs because I know that's prolly an issue. I cleaned the pins on the main harness for the instrument panel, just not each individual bulb. unique setup olds has back there, noticed there aren't any replacement.

next time I tinker around with it im gonna see if I can get the front turn signals at least to go side to side and then deal with the flasher.

if anyone with a 57 olds can confirm the wire color configuration at the TS switch that would be great. its hard to disagree with me switching then upside down when its working for the first time, so I dunno.

appreciate all the help!
Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:36 PM

heres an update. im not getting 12v to the turn signal and instrument panel connectors on the fuse panel. not sure why. but If I figure out why, it will work. I took a spare wire and connected it from the positive on the battery, directly to the turn signal connector on the fuse panel and the blinkers worked, which is very promising. did the same for the instrument panel and they went on, well some of them anyway.

any ideas as to why im not getting 12v to these two terminals? I seem to be getting 12v to everything else. I replaced the ignition switch and that looked to give me 12v to the acc terminal, which wasn't working ( power windows ) .
Old July 3rd, 2014, 01:16 PM

the instrument terminal is getting 12v on the fuse panel when the key is in the on position, leaving the turn signal as the only spot not getting 12v. grrrr. have no idea at this point

Last edited by New2Olds57; July 3rd, 2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old July 4th, 2014, 03:37 AM

I changed a headlight switch that was not putting power through a riveted junction in the switch, so take a sharp pointed tool such as a test probe and gently jam it between the saddle for the fuse and the rivet at the bottom of the saddle. The saddle (I call it) is the cup shape that the fuse snaps into. On the other side of that fuse panel should be a metal strap that distributes power according to what is riveted to it on the opposite side. Might be repaired by soldering junction / no power and not fastened to the firewall...Fire hazard! Could maybe try to rotate saddle gently on rivet (back and forth) to obtain continuity. Haven't been out to my car yet to check signal wiring. Statue.
Old July 4th, 2014, 05:30 PM

I went ahead and hooked up the turn signal to the heater circuit. don't plan on using the heater anytime soon, so it will do for now. I think im in for a fuse panel replacement in the future. might as well.

took the car out around the block today. it ran decent for the most part. the rusted out mufflers really get to ya, so mufflers are next.