56 Signal Switch?

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2008, 12:33 PM

56 Signal Switch?

I’m having problems with the directional signals, When we turn on the ignition we immediately get flasher lights, so I replaced the flasher module with no results. The guys down at the HotRod shop found a small module under the Steering column that has a small 3 way switch on it, this seems to be causing some trouble because we do have brake lights, and we do have turning signals but only when this particular switch is held and turned to the right or left position we get turning signals. Can I find a new switch unit to replace this? Seems like this switch could be shorting out the signals but the wiring is looking OK and not rotten, however the terminals or ends where they are connected look green and corroded. We will clean these off and reconnect. Anyone know about this module? Has Anyone heard about this problem before or any ideas about this odd switch or how to proceed will help!
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Past Administrator

Do you mean flasher lights like emergency flasher? I didn't know they had them in '56. Or do you mean one of the turn signal lights immidiately start working? It sounds like you are onto a solution though. Since the switch is mounted on the column it sounds like the turn signal switch to me. I would think you could still get one of those, if not at a local parts store then perhaps form Fusick or Kanter.
Old August 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Oldsdruid

Sounds like someone couldn't find a replacement switch for the column and made do. A lot of mid-50s Chryslers had dash-mounted 3-way switches for turn signals. Is this switch within easy reach?

Some GM cars had their T/S switches down at the very base of the column, and they were operated by a Bowden cable that ran from the actuator cam in the top of the column down to the switch. I think 56 had the switch at top of the column though.

Olds used the same turn signal switch 1956-62 if you need a junkyard reference. NOS will be grp 2.895. p/n 1998138. It cost $2.77 in 1974. Try finding a NOS one for that price now!

If you can't find an NOS or good used, NAPA and I think CarQuest have aftermarket units that mount to the column. They look funky, like ought to be in a dump truck, but they function.

Last edited by rocketraider; August 30th, 2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old August 31st, 2008, 06:05 PM

signal switch

Thanks for the info guys!
Yes, it seems just like emergency flashers - so all the turn signals always came on at the same time when we started her up,
front lower lights and rears.. after fiddling around with the fuse box we looked under the column and found that 3 way switch... it is easy to get to. I'll check out those parts you guys recommended.
surprisingly Fusick didn't have one... will try Kanter too.

AND YES...there is no emergency flasher button on that model so that was another reason why we were stumped..

thanks again!

i just put up a new picture of her in the gallery called 56_Rat_Rocket if you want to check her out!
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM

Signal Switch Problems CONTINUE

This switch is making me crazy, I suspect a short in the column, I'm getting mixed signals from my voltage reader, does anyone know where i can get a new switch like this one?
I'm about to put a truck -universal turning signal attachment onto my column so i can pass inspection.
Hey RocketRaider is this the switch you were writing about? check out the attached .jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SIGNAL_switch.jpg (41.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by phill_ratrodv8; October 3rd, 2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added question
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM

I am chasing down issues with my directionals as well. Tonight I swapped out my switch with one I bought on ebay a few months ago. I made progress, but I'm still getting my right rear signal along with my left signals and not with my right. I think I'm chasing a miswired socket or something... Anyways, I noticed my replaced switch has some gunk on one of the contacts. Not sure if it can be cleaned and used or not, but I'm happy to pass it over to you to see if it solves your problem. Just send me an email at alex - at - rosenltc.com if you still need one.