2 questions

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM

2 questions

1968 442
1. back up lights not working - replaced bulbs, still not working - fuse is good, could it be a switch? and if so, is that in the steering column?

2. wipers worked then stopped while at their highest point on the window and won't go back down - fuse is good - I checked the connections on the wiper motor and they seem good. What's next? thanks Shane
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:28 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I am willing to bet the back up lights have a bad ground. Check the back of the bumper, if the tabs on the bumper where the lights bolt on to is rusty that might be your problem. The wipers I would clean all your connections and try that. After 40+ years things are bound to get bad.

Larry
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The back up light switch is on the top of the steering column, on the lower end, by the firewall - the wires are green, if I recall (the purple ones are for the starter through the neutral safety switch).
If you have a console shift, I am not sure whether the switch is in the console or on the column.

As for your wipers, I have no idea, other than to say that it sounds like your motor's cooked, or the gears stripped.
There is a whole chapter about wiper motors in the Chassis Service Manual, and they're darned complicated, but you might be able to fix it by taking it apart.
If not, they're cheap at junkyards, and almost always work fine, and can even be purchased new at the auto parts store if you've got plenty of cash.

- Eric
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The back up light switch is on the top of the steering column,
Actually, for 1968 the backup light switch location depends on the trans type and shifter. For a manual trans the switch is attached to the trans under the car. For a column shift AT it's at the base of the column. For a floor shift AT it's on the shifter inside the console.

Before doing anything, verify that this isn't just a switch adjustment problem. Have an assistant check to see if the lights come on with the shifter in some position other than reverse. If not, use a test light to see if you have +12V at the terminal in the base of the light socket. If you do, repair the ground at the sockets. If not, check for voltage at the switch. If you have voltage on the input side of the switch but not the output side, and the switch is adjusted properly, replace the switch.
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:03 PM

thanks for the ideas
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM

"For a manual trans the switch is attached to the trans under the car" Joe can you be more specific where - I can't find anything - it's a 4 speed, not sure if its the original
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM

There would be a small bracket with a switch attached mounted to the side cover towards the rear of the transmission. There is a short rod from the switch connected to the reverse shift arm.
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Coach6
"For a manual trans the switch is attached to the trans under the car" Joe can you be more specific where - I can't find anything - it's a 4 speed, not sure if its the original
I'm guessing that we've just found the source of your problem...
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:41 AM

for the wipers, check inside the cowl to see if linkage broke or came undone.
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:36 PM

I don't think its even there - I will bring it to a shop - could be right in front of me and I don't know. Same goes for the wiper motor - all seems good to me - but I'm kinda limited on this wiring stuff. thanks again
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:42 PM

There may be a way to hand cycle the wipers back to the rest position. Some GM wiper assemblies allow you to rotate the motor drive with your fingers manually moving them through the cycle. It takes awhile but sometimes you can home them.

The motor indeed could have left the party but meter for power at the motor. This proves the fuse and switch are good. Often the ground is bad where the current needed to drive the motor isn't happening due to a wimpy ground.