2 electrical questions.

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2010, 01:03 AM

2 electrical questions.

Hello.

First, my car is a 1970. Original rally pack package.
car is after a complete frame off.. started driving the car 2 weeks ago after a 5 years restoration.. all excited

now for the questions..
1) where is the original wire that needs to be connected to the tach in the engine bay.. i can't seem to find it.. (i have 2 spare wires.. they don't seem to react.. and before i took the car apart everything worked.)

2)Have a weird problem with tail lights...
First.. the turn signal doesn't work at all.. not to the right, and not to the left..
When i hit the brakes, only one side turns on.. when i turn on hazard lights.. both sides flash.. which means the bulb is ok...
If i play with the turn signal.. the "good" brake light moves from RH to LH..
ummm... what's going on?!

Thanks for any help.
I would really appreciate it.
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:31 AM

1) the tach wire is brown and should break out of the engine harness with the coil wire...chassis manual pg. 15-31,2,3... 2) Check the yellow and green wires for bad connections for the sig lights...
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You MAY have a bad signal light switch.

The signal light switch does all the work to get brake lights, signal lights, and emergency flashers (2 separate flasher units) out of only 2 light bulbs (or 4, but wired as 2). A loose contact can do stuff like this.

I'd check the diagram, disconnect the harmonica plug on the column, and use test leads to be sure that the lights are working the way they should (correct bulb and filament to correct wire). This should exclude the weird "bad ground" or "2-filament bulb in the socket funny" gremlins.

- Eric
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You MAY have a bad signal light switch.

The signal light switch does all the work to get brake lights, signal lights, and emergency flashers (2 separate flasher units) out of only 2 light bulbs (or 4, but wired as 2). A loose contact can do stuff like this.

I'd check the diagram, disconnect the harmonica plug on the column, and use test leads to be sure that the lights are working the way they should (correct bulb and filament to correct wire). This should exclude the weird "bad ground" or "2-filament bulb in the socket funny" gremlins.

- Eric
X2 Had this same ting on a pontiac lemans you may have changed out the colum in the resto and wire lay out is dfferent from old one too ?
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:53 AM

Just had almost the same problem on a '65 Nova - turns out the curved plug on the bottom of the steering column wasn't 'seated'.
Pulled it apart, and plugged it in a few times - good as new!