71 olds442 convertible electrical questions

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:49 AM

71 olds442 convertible electrical questions

Hi I have a 1971 olds 442 convertible.The cars wiring under the hood was all chopped up mostly made up of yellow wiring. I have a few ?. I was hopping someone can help me out first the starter wires ( I bought all new wiring harnesses from yearone ) there is a yellow and a purple when the started is installed can you tell me witch wire color is next to the block I may have them reversed. 2nd I have 3 connectors they are as follows one is a double male with solid green and green with white stripe it also has resistors.Next is solid green male connector runs towards front of engine I think this is for water dummy light.Then there's a round two wire green with white stripe and black with brown or orange stripe(sorry a little color blind )Last there is a block that goes on the fire wall behind the brake booster it has large red wire in and red out. I cant remember where these wires run to and from I think one end is connected to the horn relay but not sure I have included pictures of all the connectors any help will be appreciated.
Well I tried to upload multiple pictures with no luck I hope my description will be enough the one picture I could upload is the hardest one to describe hope someone can help thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tn.jpg (1.7 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by oldsdriver1218; March 14th, 2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: correct spelling and punctuation
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

First, I would look around for a bunch of lost punctuation - it looks like it somehow fell out of your post.

I will answer your questions as best I can decode the approximately 230 words of unpunctuated test you deposited.

1. Starter solenoid: Purple wire to "S" terminal, Yellow wire to other terminal.

2. Green wires through funny ~1x2" black box to single wire and terminal: Probably under-pressure safety wiring for A/C compressor.

3. Green / White and Black / White wires probably TCS switch.

4. The pictured item is the circuit breaker for the power windows.

I would strongly recommend checking your wiring with the schematic in the Chassis Service Manual.
If you don't have one, it would be wise to buy one, on eBay, for instance, and you can download a copy for free as well from WildAboutCars.com.

- Eric
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:40 AM

The car never had power windows could it be for the convertible top. If so does one end connect to the horn relay. And the other to the top switch. As for the starter input thanks. The wiring harness is suppose to be for a non a/c car but that"s what it looked like to me because of the resistors. I will check the web site you gave. I DID NOT THINK PUNCTUATION WAS THAT BIG OF A DEAL BUT THANKS FOR YOUR TIME IT IS APPRICIATED
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldsdriver1218
The car never had power windows could it be for the convertible top.
Yes

If so does one end connect to the horn relay. And the other to the top switch.
Yes

I DID NOT THINK PUNCTUATION WAS THAT BIG OF A DEAL BUT THANKS FOR YOUR TIME IT IS APPRICIATED
And you would be mistaken. Read the book "Eats Shoots and Leaves". The statement "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" means something VERY different from "Eats Shoots and Leaves". The former refers to my uncle Guido, the latter to a panda. The difference is a couple of "no big deal" commas.

Seriously, you're asking people to take the time to help you. The least you can do is make it easy for us to read your question.
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:52 AM

I never realized that car guys were so into punctuation. Ill make sure that any other questions I ask are punctuated properly thanks for your time
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:07 PM

I did my best to fix spelling among other things hope this makes it easier to read. Sorry for the mistakes.
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldsdriver1218
I never realized that car guys were so into punctuation.
Actually, we're into correctly understanding the question so we can provide a correct answer. This isn't a "car guy" thing, it's a life thing.
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:24 PM

That's cool thanks did you get a chance to look it over I made changes but don't know if it's better or not

Last edited by oldsdriver1218; March 14th, 2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added a little more