1974 Delta vert wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM

1974 Delta vert wiring harness

Is there somewere to buy a full wiring harness for my 74 delta mine is there but my mechnic said if i can try and find a new one if not he can work with whats theres also were can i get wiring diagrams for it as well please thanx.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I doubt you can get a new one for a Delta, as it's just not that popular a car.
More to the point, do you really want to spend an extra $500?

The original is probably fine, but will have more resistance at the connections than it used to. The only place I have seen this as a problem has been in the power to the top motor and the trunk release - the original wiring just can't quite get enough juice to them. Try the top, and the lights dim and the relay clicks, but no action. Touch a heavy hot wire to the terminals, and it wings right over. I'm running an 8ga hot wire back to the top motor and replacing the original relay with a pair of modern weatherproof relays, and using the top switch to trip the relays, instead of handling the full current load (and, yes, I did disassemble and clean the top switch, and it didn't do the trick).

So, if your harness has any really bad problems, I'd say get one from a junkyard, otherwise, what you've got is probably good enough.

- Eric
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I doubt you can get a new one for a Delta, as it's just not that popular a car.
More to the point, do you really want to spend an extra $500?

The original is probably fine, but will have more resistance at the connections than it used to. The only place I have seen this as a problem has been in the power to the top motor and the trunk release - the original wiring just can't quite get enough juice to them. Try the top, and the lights dim and the relay clicks, but no action. Touch a heavy hot wire to the terminals, and it wings right over. I'm running an 8ga hot wire back to the top motor and replacing the original relay with a pair of modern weatherproof relays, and using the top switch to trip the relays, instead of handling the full current load (and, yes, I did disassemble and clean the top switch, and it didn't do the trick).

So, if your harness has any really bad problems, I'd say get one from a junkyard, otherwise, what you've got is probably good enough.

- Eric
OK because theres no power at all inside he said he was going to clean the conectors at the firewall to see if that does anything... thank you again
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You need to figure out where you DO have power, and then where you DON'T, and find the place(s) in the middle where the problem(s) is(are).

"Inside / Outside" will not help.

- Eric
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by delta254
Iwere can i get wiring diagrams for it as well
Full color wiring diagrams are in the '74 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual. These pop up all the time on ebay.

Here's one for sale right now for a very good price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-...item483f98d298
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jaunty75
These pop up all the time on ebay.
I paid $8.00 for mine.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You need to figure out where you DO have power, and then where you DON'T, and find the place(s) in the middle where the problem(s) is(are).

"Inside / Outside" will not help.

- Eric
oK ill look into this weekend.