1972 442 battery question

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2009, 02:18 AM

1972 442 battery question

I posted this in the 442 forum but no one was able to help. Thought I would try this forum with my question:

My 1972 442 has the bigger engine (VIN code U) and it appears to have had a top post battery originally based on the battery cables in the car (which are original). My understanding is that in 72, some came with top post and some came with side post batteries. Since mine appears to be a top post, what is the correct Delco battery that came with it?

charles
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Registered

I looked real quick at a few places and it seems that a 1972 442 is a tough year to get an original type battery for?
I have no idea what they were originally but maybe somebody will chime in with a '72 that has the info.

They had side post for the 350 in '72, maybe both for the 442 as you said, places have the 350 size batteries and sell side post 442 '72 cables but no batteries?
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:56 PM

Shouldn't that be the Delco R59 battery?
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Oldsdruid

Usually the CSM tells exactly which OEM battery is used in each application. The 1972 CSM does not list anything for A-body with 455. Can't even find anything in the 1972 Service Guilds or Tech Bulletins. Go figure.

CSM shows all A/B 350 cars use Delco R89 Energizer. B/C/E with 455 use R91. Toronado could have a C89 sealed top type battery option. But it doesn't say a word about the 455 A-body car.
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:07 AM

Well, it is good to see that I am not the only one having trouble figuring this out. My battery cables (original) are for a top post battery. So, the R-59 looks to be right. But, when you read about it you see lots of references to a side post battery. R-59 reproduction batteries are available, but really expensive. I am going to keep doing some research. Anyone else have information - chime in!
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Registered

This site is running like it's 1999 right now.

I would think the R91 would be more like it? The CCA's and case size are probably the most important things. No use if it won't fit or crank the engine over.

http://www.restorationbattery.com/gmproducts.html
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:00 AM

The car has the "bigger" battery tray so the size is critical. I will check out the R91 for comparison.

charles
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:07 AM

I dont see an R91 listed on the site you linked? Am I missing it?

charles
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM

if this is ANY help whatosever, I have a 72 Supreme (350). Factory side post terminals with a replacement 78 series battery.

Additionally, the actual Owners Manual has two pictures of the 1972 Engine compartment. One has a side post, and one is a top post. The only OTHER clue is that is says to do a Energizer 421 test if you suspect it being bad.

John
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

AC Delco Listing U Code 1972

Originally Posted by 72442
I posted this in the 442 forum but no one was able to help. Thought I would try this forum with my question:

My 1972 442 has the bigger engine (VIN code U) and it appears to have had a top post battery originally based on the battery cables in the car (which are original). My understanding is that in 72, some came with top post and some came with side post batteries. Since mine appears to be a top post, what is the correct Delco battery that came with it?

charles
I was not aware that 1972 A Bodies came with side terminal batteries. My car still has the original cables ( top posts) and they work fine. As far as replacement batteries from AC Delco, check this link: http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php . Fill out the first 3 drop downs, then specify electrical, and select batteries. clik on which ever battery suits you and check the applications. They both are listed as replacement batteries for your U code 455. They have 735 and 710 CCA respectively. Only thing not specified is the size. However, I would bet that a battery for a 455 L75 would be substantial.

One thing I guess we haven't really broached. Are you trying to keep the car "looking original"? Is your car going to be concours to the point of battery and connections? My car is pretty much stock all through. When it comes to the battery though, I use AC Delco professsional series that's got the 7 year warranty and 50 month free replacement. Obviously it's also a top post model, but you can get them in a combination of Top/side post depending on what you want it for.
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I was not aware that 1972 A Bodies came with side terminal batteries. My car still has the original cables ( top posts) and they work fine. As far as replacement batteries from AC Delco, check this link: http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php . Fill out the first 3 drop downs, then specify electrical, and select batteries. clik on which ever battery suits you and check the applications. They both are listed as replacement batteries for your U code 455. They have 735 and 710 CCA respectively. Only thing not specified is the size. However, I would bet that a battery for a 455 L75 would be substantial.

One thing I guess we haven't really broached. Are you trying to keep the car "looking original"? Is your car going to be concours to the point of battery and connections? My car is pretty much stock all through. When it comes to the battery though, I use AC Delco professsional series that's got the 7 year warranty and 50 month free replacement. Obviously it's also a top post model, but you can get them in a combination of Top/side post depending on what you want it for.
I should have clarified a little better. They are DELCO cables, with factory ends not some jobs that were bolted on after the fact. I have a good quantity of meticulous repair documentation on that car, so it wouldn't suprise me at all, if the CABLES had been changed along the way at the dealer... in order to get the car going (because those cables were in stock at the dealer, vs the factory ones.

I'm just curious to know WHY it wouldn't have been documented in any of the publications. You would think it would be in the owners manual as is the type of Oil or transmission fluid to use. "Keep your car original, Keep your car GM"
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the information and I will go to the web site you listed. No, my car is not concours. I am trying to keep the engine compartment pretty original though and think the battery would be a nice touch.

Based on what I have read, it looks like the 72 came with both top/side posts. Not sure why. Mine is also a top post with the original cables.

charles
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Choices, always choices...

Originally Posted by 72442
Thanks for the information and I will go to the web site you listed. No, my car is not concours. I am trying to keep the engine compartment pretty original though and think the battery would be a nice touch.

Based on what I have read, it looks like the 72 came with both top/side posts. Not sure why. Mine is also a top post with the original cables.

charles
I appreciate where you're at with this. The web page for GM style replacements that was mentioned in Allan (Blue Vistas) post shows styles that look pretty much like they did back in the day. Only thing is for your car, you might need to use the side post terminal connections since you've already had them changed by the dealer? Only thing is that when I buy batteries, I'm willing to go for up to around 90 bucks for a good one that will last a while. The ones that match the original style are priced at 260.00 to start. You'll still have to ship them. If you don't mind that kind of expense, my hats off to you. I hope you find the battery you're looking for.
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Oldsdruid

Bad as I hate to say it, check applications for BB Chevelles and 455 GTOs and see what those say. I kinda doubt a 455 car would use the small battery.

I was also under impression GM went to side terminal batteries across the board in 1972, but we have two cars here with original top post cables?? Those original side terminal batteries were more different from top post technology than most people knew about.

Allan has a good idea about using current production ACD batteries. They'll pass all but the most critical judged show and I'd a lot rather see one of those in there than an Everlast or Interstate.

Stant radiator caps and red heater hoses bug me too, esp on an otherwise well sorted out engine compartment, but that's another story.
Old November 16th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Registered

I've had resto R59's and now have an Optima Red-Top in my GTO and it doesn't make a difference even at most judged shows having it if the car is nice and can compensate for it, nationals or concours deals yeah.

The Optima has top and side posts and I use the sides for my lousy brake vac pump and stereo, cranks like crazy no matter what and has never let me down. It has way more cranking amps and all that stuff than a stock type battery and is zero maintenance. I just leave it in the car with the battery negative terminal switch off in a heated garage all winter and the car starts right up every spring.
They do also have a group 78 side post too.

I see guys put in empty resto or original battery shells for shows and get nailed when the judges want to see the lights or accessories work and hear the horn honk, they never tell you ahead of time.

I don't know about now but a few years back resto batteries were notorious for lasting about two years or less no matter what, and worse yet leaving you stranded, just weren't good batteries. I've been through a couple and never again as long as I live, fool me twice and it's shame on me.
Pretty and correct is nice but dependable is the most important.
There is absolutely nothing worse than having your car not start at a cruise, show, gas station or anywhere really.
I've been there too many times and I'm getting too old for that #@&%$'n noise.

The battery toppers look sort of correct and show you're at least trying?
They're about 60-70 bucks shipped by the time you buy the terminal extenders and they do fit on AC Delco and Snears maintenance free batteries, top post that is.

Last edited by Bluevista; November 16th, 2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old January 13th, 2016, 01:05 PM

This is an antique dinasour thread I found trying to figure out where to find the correct battery for my 1972 Hurst/Olds.

A friend of mine suggested using the 1972 Oldsmobile Inspector's Guide. He was right. It and a lot of stuff is in that book. You can find them on Ebay and Inline Tube sells them.

Good luck restoring all your Oldsmobiles
Old January 13th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Administrator

I'll add this company to look at. I've used their batteries and had very good customer service from them with my Plymouth.
http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/ge...tml#Oldsmobile