120 on Cruise Control!

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I've heard of chambermaids but what does a rubbermaid do?
I have heard they're very flexible employees.
writing that.
Thats some funny stuff right there
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:30 AM

On a slightly more serious note

Do you guys use "ICE" on your cell phones?

ICE= In Case of Emergency

With a phone number that EMs could call if/when you are hit by a bus [or shot by a jealous husband]

Rubbbermaids clean your tires don't they?

Or do they clean your rubbers [like these]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rubber shoes.jpg (10.0 KB, 71 views)
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Trying to remember member

I have a Plano box too, would EMS send my body there if I fell in the drink?
I think they make Rubbermaid around here but never seen a city named that in the area?
I've heard of chambermaids but what does a rubbermaid do?
I have heard they're very flexible employees.
See ya' soon Rob, I'm going to grab my Plano box and jump in the lake for writing that.
Rob, what you see here is Cabin Fever. It hits some of us harder than others......
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
Check his location.
Okay, Rob, do you or did you (or anyone else here) know Scott Martindale? He lived in Plano, and I've lost contact with him. He bought my '65 442 back in 1994 and I've been trying to reach him.
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Rob, what you see here is Cabin Fever. It hits some of us harder than others......
Understand...
I knew Allan would not actually jump in the lake because the lakes where he's at are probably froze over for the winter!

Sorry, but I do not know Scott; Plano is a pretty big city now.
I looked in an old 2000 phone book and found only a David and G.E. MArtindale. Let me know if I can healp further.
Did you try an online search? Hope you reunite with him some day...

Edit - wait a minute... There is a guy here that has a 65 or 66 (?) 442 that I see at local shows. It was midnite blue with the tri-carb setup... Here are some pics... It is a sharp car for sure with a SWEET snarl!
Attached Images
IMG_7074.jpg (98.0 KB, 23 views)
IMG_7076.jpg (105.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; February 6th, 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wmachine
You said it.

Today I will have my rubbermaid cleaning my tires, polishing up my galoshes and detailing my rubber ducky.
She's real good at bouncing between different jobs.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:01 AM

I painted the cruise control parts that had been on the kitchen counter for a week now. Carefully following the instructions on the cans, the parts came out looking great.
I used semi-gloss black on the brackets and ‘aluminum’ on the servo and dashpot. Here are the “like-new” parts:

(Note in this picture I included my NOS servo also, to compare the finishes. I am very happy with the results of the painting and beats having to have them bead blasted and replated for lots more green…)

Good surface prep and patience are the keys to a good paint job. Instead of painting them on one side and flipping them just to have them stick on the other side, I found it was easiest to hang each part by a wire and paint each individually. I then hung them on nails in a shelf edge in the garage to dry undisturbed. It worked great and the added time worked to my advantage, giving them a chance to dry enough before the next coat was applied.
A few days later, I brought the parts inside where the air is warmer and drier, to allow a full cure for the paint.
A day later, I reassembled the parts and put them aside for future installation, possibly after the A/C is restored and the engine repainted.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

The NOJ servo looks just as good as the NOS now.
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM

I think you and Richard are having a contest to see who can take apart, rebuild, paint, and put together the most parts of a Olds. Are you keeping count for the contest final.
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I think you and Richard are having a contest to see who can take apart, rebuild, paint, and put together the most parts of a Olds.
It's pretty safe to say that Richard will continue to hold the title, as I do not forsee Lady's undercarriage or engine being removed any time in my future (lack of space, equipment, and help.)
Of course her suspension & A/C will be restored later and the transmission needs need resealing, so I kinda cringe on what direction those may go!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; February 12th, 2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Registered

Where's the left servo modulation bearing?
I have a brick I could of sent you to rest on the accelerator pedal and it would of been a lot easier. I have an NOS one here that you could have covered by your upholstery dude and then sell all that junk.

I agree with others that these photo-sagas are very edumucatiomal.
I like learning from Rob's mistakes, saves me a lot of trouble..

A lot of us guys do things with their parts but just get too busy to stop and take pics.
If I ever asked my wife to take pics while I messed around with my parts she would slap me upside the head.
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Where's the left servo modulation bearing?
Dang - left it on the workbench in the garage! Oh well, save it for the next car...

I have a brick I could of sent you to rest on the accelerator pedal and it would of been a lot easier. I have an NOS one here
I have a few hundred of them here, too. You might have a NOS one, but is it calibrated? For what speed? If I want to go 70, it had better keep me at 70! Mine are custom sized according to speed, but they were a little too heavy and began to affect my mileage...

I like learning from Rob's mistakes, saves me a lot of trouble..
Don't worry, you will easily find your own trouble... Like they say, everyone's parts come apart differently and you will lose them differently as well. If I say "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey", you might be experiencing hammer, blowtorch and die grinder...

If I ever asked my wife to take pics while I messed around with my parts she would slap me upside the head.
I would suggest not doing that then... Just keep your camera in the garage and not be afraid to get a little grime on it. These documentaries i am doing are mainly for a big restoration journal I am making to display with Lady at shows. It is easy for me to copy and past into the forum, so it is nice to be able to share the knowledge.
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Registered

That's a 120 mph NOS brick, 120 on Cruise? If you need smaller brick hunks calibrated for lower speeds I can go downtown and get some alley apples. They're easy to find, the locals throw them at you when you drive by. :eek

I just rebuilt my tilt column and I actually had no parts left when I got done and the car even goes the same direction you turn the wheel.
I would post pics of the process and explain it but I don't want to get too many people in trouble.
I'll put together a thread of every possible mistake you can make and where not to order parts from soon, "Sorry, Bubba in shipping says it's on back order".

You have to put together a big Powerpoint presentation of your fine work and show it on a big plasma screen mounted in your trunk. The thread of the installation would be most informative.
You could put it on the hood and pretend you're at the drive-in too.

Last edited by Bluevista; February 12th, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
If you find the faceplate for less and it's good quality, could you please PM me where to get it? Thanks.
As suggested by someone here somewhere, I bought the "CRUISE" dash switch plate at HH Classic Auto for $15 + 5 S&H. The pics are below.

These are not as accurately made as the ones I got for the top and wipers from the Parts Place.
On this HH cruise plate, the font is wrong and you must file the corners a little bit to fit it over the bezel. Also, the adhesive is a separate item with 2 backings to peel off - it is a little tedious if you have shakey hands.
I spoke withthe guy at HH and he says these will be no changes to the design, as only 2 a year gets ordered. There is even less demand for the rear window wagon switch, so he plans not to even make that one...

I am thinking that an untrained eye will miss the font difference...
Let me know what y'all think...
Attached Images
IMG_1519.jpg (82.6 KB, 44 views)
IMG_1521.jpg (88.7 KB, 44 views)
Old February 16th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
- it is a little tedious if you have shakey hands.

Let me know what y'all think...
I'm thinking a little "hair from the tail of the dog that bit ya" would cure the shakey hands.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I found another cruise control setup in the garage today if someone is in need of one. It's a halfway decent bellows and an adjustment rod that connects to the carburetor linkage. From a 76 Delta. If you're running a quadrajet, I can send you the carb baseplate with it if you want to swap linkages.

ALSO..... If you can't find any bellows for oldsmobiles anymore, the mid-late 70's Mopar 440's used the same bellows.
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Here's a pic. It's just an adjustable linkage rod from the carb baseplate to the bellows and mounting bracket.

I also have 2 or 3 more dashpots laying about if anyone needs.
Attached Images
76deltaCC.JPG (93.4 KB, 242 views)
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Some members have asked me about details on the cruise control regulator cover label.

Here are a couple close up pictures. The label is a foil type and measures 1.72" x 1.22".

The real color in natural lighting is the darker one in the second picture.

Attached Images
cc.jpg (98.6 KB, 227 views)
CClabel_2904.jpg (94.4 KB, 225 views)
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM

THANKS Rob!!!!
Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM

Maybe you can help me to find a complete system to my Cutlass 67...thanks and congratulations for your cars!!!!
thanks
Andre
Old August 4th, 2010, 04:29 AM

Many thanks! Unfortuantely, I do not have any parts that will help you out. The only spares i have will not fit a 67.
However, your parts wanted ad should bring in some bites. I had to accumulate bits and pices for over a year to get a complete system that I had to restore.
In fact I have still not finished!
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Far in the Middle East

That is definitely one of the most interesting stories I have read in this forum. Congratulations on your perseverence Rob. Haven't seen the end of the story though. Is it yet to come?

Seeing the difficulties associated with restoring this particular item, I lost my momentum, although my task is limited to under-hood work (car had a factory Cruise Control system). I fear I won't be able to get all the items required, being thousands of miles away from USA.

I'll give it a try anyway. Thanks for this wealth of information that I sure needed.
Old March 10th, 2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by 442 Lebanon
That is definitely one of the most interesting stories I have read in this forum. Congratulations on your perseverence Rob. Haven't seen the end of the story though. Is it yet to come?

Seeing the difficulties associated with restoring this particular item, I lost my momentum, although my task is limited to under-hood work (car had a factory Cruise Control system). I fear I won't be able to get all the items required, being thousands of miles away from USA.

I'll give it a try anyway. Thanks for this wealth of information that I sure needed.
Many thanks...
Yes, the end of the story is yet to come. I have the carb linkage and servo to mount and a regulator to rebuild.
Since the engine will be repainted next year (I plan), no sense installing the linkage and servo just to pull them off again.
I will certainly add the end when the project continues.

What parts are you seeking? Certainly someone around here has extra stuff stashed away or knows where it can be had from.
It might take some time but I am sure you can get what you need soon!
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:38 AM

442 Lebanon - I moved your parts request to the parts wanted section to help you out with some more exposure of your needs.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post260589
Let me know if you have other questions on the cruise system!
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM

Accumulating parts for a cruise setup for my 72 convertible...any leads?

Hi Rob. Tried 13 different phone numbers for you in Plano today...but to no avail. I have a 72 convertible and would LOVE to have cruise as I live in Georgia and my parents live at the beach in Panama City Florida...it is a natural inclination to want to drive the vertible down there to visit them! I currently have a turn lever, a bezel, and a switch. I know I can find a wire harness and switch easily, but as for the rest, ARGH! What else do I need? I plan on buying an assembly manual the next time Year One sends me a discount coupon. Any help knowing which parts to get OR help acquiring them is VERY appreciated! Thanks, Dustin G.

PS To the other gentleman who mentioned he had some additional parts lying around, I am interested...
Old April 19th, 2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by nitsudg
Hi Rob. Tried 13 different phone numbers for you in Plano today...but to no avail. I have a 72 convertible and would LOVE to have cruise as I live in Georgia and my parents live at the beach in Panama City Florida...it is a natural inclination to want to drive the vertible down there to visit them! I currently have a turn lever, a bezel, and a switch. I know I can find a wire harness and switch easily, but as for the rest, ARGH! What else do I need? I plan on buying an assembly manual the next time Year One sends me a discount coupon. Any help knowing which parts to get OR help acquiring them is VERY appreciated! Thanks, Dustin G.

PS To the other gentleman who mentioned he had some additional parts lying around, I am interested...
Sorry - I am unlisted and unknown - even by myself at times.....

Sounds like you need a regulator, servo, related brackets, carb linkage, speedo cable pair (I think these are reproed) and the vacuum release thing at the brake pedal.
The vac release could be adapted from some different junkyard car, as the function is simple.
The regulator can be had from many different 70's GM cars, as these were common units. Finding a good one might be difficult, as they are all mechanical. There is an internal seal that fails and any rust inside can make it hard to restore.
The hardest part to find is the servo unit with the rubber boot that usually crumbles. The rubber piece is replaceable, so even a servo with a bad rubber piece can be used. I heard that some old 60-something Mopar uses a similar rubber piece... You need the bracket for the servo also, too.
I ~might~ have a servo unit with a good rubber boot from a mid 70's car. I will try to remember to look at it to see if it might work on the 72. It should work with some engineering skill, but will look non-stock. This is a last-resort move...
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:09 PM

Hi and thanks for the response!

I will try to figure out how to pm you my phone number. Love to talk for a few if you don't mind sharing some knowledge...

Dustin G.
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:00 AM

How to PM Rob

Click on Lady72nRob71 just left of his post and a menu will drop down. One of the choices is send a private message
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:00 PM

So, Rob, ready to get rid of your extra cruise parts yet? :)

Well, no one has responded to my post about parts needed, so I am wondering if you would be willing to sell your extras? I have the stalk, dash switch and bezel, and now a 72 regulator. Will get repro wiring, brake switch, and cables. That leaves the brake switch mount (if it is different than a normal one?), the servo with mount, and the carb linkage. Did I miss anything? Let's discuss...
Thanks, DLG.
Old April 24th, 2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by nitsudg
Well, no one has responded to my post about parts needed, so I am wondering if you would be willing to sell your extras? I have the stalk, dash switch and bezel, and now a 72 regulator. Will get repro wiring, brake switch, and cables. That leaves the brake switch mount (if it is different than a normal one?), the servo with mount, and the carb linkage. Did I miss anything? Let's discuss...
Thanks, DLG.
Well, sorry to hear no respose, but just ping it each week so it gets back to the top.
These parts are rare but they are out there...
The only good extra part I have is a servo. I took a good look at it and found out it is similar to the 73-78 full size GM cars. In small writing I saw 73 mopar 440 on it. So it fits on the bracket but is it a half inch longer than the stock type and when mounted it will barely touch the air cleaner. A 1/4" spacer may help (or a bend to the bracket) and since the linkage is different, you would have to engineer that (I do have a rod with that 440 unit.)
Here is a picture - stock one on left, 73 mopar 440 on right.

As much as I hate to recommend evil bay, it is a good source. However be prepared to spend $$$$$$. I did get a NOS servo there a couple years back for 160 and change.
Keep trying - I am sure there is a servo out there somewhere. Brackets should be easier to find since the do not rot.
If you want to talk, just PM me your #.
Attached Images
IMG_1895.jpg (68.4 KB, 129 views)