Factory cruise control parts wanted - 1971 442

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Far in the Middle East

Question Factory cruise control parts wanted - 1971 442

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
What parts are you seeking? Certainly someone around here has extra stuff stashed away or knows where it can be had from.
It might take some time but I am sure you can get what you need soon!
I practically need "all" the under-hood components of the system (nothing was there when I bought the car 31 years ago), so perhaps a list of these items would be a good starting point for me. I'll take it up from that point onwards. It might take me more than one year to find what's needed but I'm patient. I do have my 1971 Assembly Manual and I presume it's clear about the installation part.

Thanks for the assistance.
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Registered

Rock Auto has the transducer and wiring harness if you need it.

http://www.rockauto.com/

They only have four left of the two wire transducers which yours should be if it's like my '71.
Then all you need is the maniflold linkage, servo and servo bracket if the switches inside the car are there, 2 barrel and four barrel are different for the linkage.
Is the bracket still on the left inner fender for the transducer?
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:35 AM

I moved your posts from my dormant thread to the parts wanted section to help you out.
It looks like you need the regulator and bracket, servo and bracket, possibly speedo cable pair, underhood wire harness, and carb linkage.
Let me know if you have any other questions - I am quite familiar with the factory cruise system.
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:54 PM

i have a transducer and bracket and speedo cables and maybe the harness from a 70 cutlass chris
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Far in the Middle East

Well,

One of my problems is that I'm currently away from home and won't be back till mid-June, so I have to rely on my memory.

I've always wondered about two "unidentified" items in my car. After spending some time on the Assembly Manual and referring back to Rob's story, I discovered now that they part of the Cruise Control system!! They are items 1 & 2 in the attached (the vacuum tank and the transducer with bracket). Item 3 (power unit and carb linkage) is missing. The carb is a 4-barrel Rochester.

The question is: would the existing items be functionally reliable after all these years? Is there a way to check them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
New Picture.jpg (91.4 KB, 65 views)
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Far in the Middle East

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Rock Auto has the transducer and wiring harness if you need it.

They only have four left of the two wire transducers which yours should be if it's like my '71.
Then all you need is the maniflold linkage, servo and servo bracket if the switches inside the car are there, 2 barrel and four barrel are different for the linkage.
Is the bracket still on the left inner fender for the transducer?
Thanks for the tip, Bluevista. Assuming that I will find the old transducer and vacuum tank healthy, any idea where the 4 barrel carb kit can be found?
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:58 AM

The vacuum storage tank (1) should be there already if the car has A/C. This is only used for the vacuum A/C control panel. Basically they are just tying in to that manifold vacuum hose for a vacuum source.

Rockauto may have the transducer (2) as Blue mentioned. The bracket can be homemade or bought from a member here. The power unit (3) and linkage could also be bought from a member here. The power unit rubber bellows will probably be no good, but I heard the bellows is available from Rockauto, also! However it is sold for Jaguars but just happen to fit these Olds units, too. The details on this is somewhere on this forum - will have to look around for it...
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Registered

You can get the rubber servo/power unit bellows but you'll still need the end plates and spring that goes inside and those you would have to find used. Usually the old bellows are cracked and leak.

I discovered the rubber bellows was the same as a Jag and Land Rover when I needed one...thank you.
I typed in bellows instead of power unit or servo and it came right up on evilbay.
I contacted the seller and had him measure one and they're exactly the same one, mine works fine. Rock Auto has them for $18.63, look up 1983 Jaguar XJ-6 then in electrical it's the "Cruise Control Actuator Bellows". I can't remember who but some Olds supplier has them now and they're a lot more money than that, probably saw my post and ordered a bunch of them.
I knew I should of kept my big mouth shut and gone into the Olds cruise control bellows business.

The 4 barrel linkage somebody here may have.
If you have an ohmmeter there are electrical test procedures for the cruise control including the transducer in the chassis service manual.
I did it on mine with the ohmmeter function of my digital dwell tach deal and the numbers were actually what they said they should be.
That's magical and mystical electronics to me.
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Far in the Middle East

Question

Hmmm,

I did some homework.

Browsing RockAuto, I found the Jaguar bellow (Part # AEU4090, $18.63), the Cutlass transducer (Part # 36101, 2-terminals, $74.49), and the Cutlass Cruise Control Harness (Part # 15610, $32.79). I also need to replace Speedometer Cable (currently running directly from Speedometer to Transmission) with the new upper and lower parts (Parts # 03512 & 03517, $15.8). Guess what. Shipping cost to where I am is $ 152.07 !! That's a total of $294.08 . I really have to check the condition of the items that I already have in my car to see if some of this cost can be saved. The Chassis Manual is indeed thorough about the checks that need to be made.

With this, I still have to find the carb hardware including the mechanism that will house the bellow. On ebay, the only perhaps-relevant item I could find is the bracket shown in the third photo below.

Its vendor says "YOU ARE LOOKING AT A GM NOS CRUISE CONTROL ACTUATING RELAY BELLCRANK BRACKET PART NUMBER 406876. ACCORDING TO MY 1975 OLDS PARTS BOOK IT FITS 1970 - 1971 CUTLASS W/ 4BARRELL CARB.;1970 - 1971 OLDS W/455 ENGINE WITH 4 BARRELL(EX F85 OR TORANADO) ... THE ONE ON RIGHT IS THE ONE YOU WILL RECIEVE AND THE ONE ON THE LEFT IS FOR MY PERSONAL COLLECTION".

I'm not sure if this is the one I need (looks a bit different from the one appearing in the Chassis Manual) .
Attached Images
Bellow.jpg (11.2 KB, 31 views)
2-terminal transducer.jpg (20.0 KB, 45 views)
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:35 AM

That third bracket is up near the carb for its linkage - check to see if you still have it. It is not for mounting the transducer to the fenderwell, so you will still need to find that or fab up your own.
You have the right bellows pictured, but you still need an old unit for the housing, spring, and bracket.
Yes, I found this stuff costly even being in the states.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:49 PM
1971 442 conv

I’m not a Cruise Control expert, but I have a 1971 Olds 442 with factory cruise control that is also missing some components.
Here is a picture of my car. Maybe this will help everyone figure out what all is needed to complete 442Lebanon’s set up. I do know that 1971 & 1972 Cruise Controls are not the same. Also, I may have access to some used parts, so let me know if used will be OK. I can probably ship small stuff to Beirut in exchange for some Real good Humos.

Old May 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Far in the Middle East

Originally Posted by Texas442
I’m not a Cruise Control expert, but I have a 1971 Olds 442 with factory cruise control that is also missing some components.
Here is a picture of my car. Maybe this will help everyone figure out what all is needed to complete 442Lebanon’s set up. I do know that 1971 & 1972 Cruise Controls are not the same. Also, I may have access to some used parts, so let me know if used will be OK. I can probably ship small stuff to Beirut in exchange for some Real good Humos.
Hi Texas442,

I’m currently away from Lebanon and expect to be there by mid-June. I’m mainly interested in the mechanism that houses the bellow, and the carb linkage components. I’m not sure at present whether I already have the vacuum release switch behind brakes pedal or not (I’ll check this out when I go there and will let you know). Comparing the picture you had provided with the drawings below, you can notice that the cruise control components you have do not match the factory ones.

PS: Since you’re in Austin, have you been to Tarbouch in East Oltorf? If this place is part of the same chain I know about, their Humos must be great.
Attached Images
New Picture (1).jpg (91.3 KB, 62 views)
New Picture (2).jpg (62.2 KB, 50 views)