Design problem or manufacturing defect? (window track)

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2016, 07:12 PM
1988 Delta 88

Design problem or manufacturing defect? (window track)

An ongoing problem has been that the window would get stuck in the down position if the door is closed and the window is more than halfway down, it will come off the regulator causing it to get stuck in the down position. As it turns out the window track is actually wider towards the bottom than it seems like it should be, which allows the glass to move, breaking the plastic clip that holds it to the regulator. At first I thought this might be a manufacturing defect, but while having the regulator replaced on the passenger side (it was the original and starting to decay) i found out it also has that problem so now I'm not so sure.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've got an '88 Delta 88 coupe.
Old April 7th, 2016, 07:35 PM

Sounds like roller and/or adjustment problems. You need to take your door cards off and study the problem carefully. There are a few adjustment areas in the mechanisms.
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sounds like this is for an '88 88, with which I have no experience, but in dealing with other cars, I have found that almost all window-related parts are bendable with the right tools and a bit of determination, so I suspect that you could tighten the lower tracks, or bend other parts, in addition to the usual adjustments, once you've got a good idea of the forces acting on the parts.

- Eric
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:04 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
Sounds like roller and/or adjustment problems. You need to take your door cards off and study the problem carefully. There are a few adjustment areas in the mechanisms.

I looked at it myself and track itself is definitely wider at the bottom than it is at the top. I could be using the wrong terminology, it could be called the channel I think, but that metal piece the window slides up and down through. Number 4 on the diagram below. My first thought was to replace it, but if it is a design problem then I'm not sure that would do any good. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Sounds like this is for an '88 88, with which I have no experience, but in dealing with other cars, I have found that almost all window-related parts are bendable with the right tools and a bit of determination, so I suspect that you could tighten the lower tracks, or bend other parts, in addition to the usual adjustments, once you've got a good idea of the forces acting on the parts.

- Eric
That's an idea, although I must admit I am a bit reluctant to go that route unless I can be sure there's no alternative.

Last edited by illumined; April 8th, 2016 at 05:07 PM.